Solving a inclusion-exclusion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding the number of ways to take 4 integers from a set of N positive integers where their greatest common divisor (GCD) is equal to 1. One person claims to have used the inclusion-exclusion principle to determine the number of ways, but the other person is unsure of how it was applied and requests a more detailed explanation. The conversation also mentions that when N=10 and the positive integers are 12,46,100,131,5,6,7,8,9, there are 210 distinct 4-sets that can be constructed, but 28 of them include both 6 and 8 and therefore do not have the desired property. It is also noted
Awlad Hossain
Given N positive integers, not necessarily distinct, how many ways you can take 4 integers from the N numbers such that their GCD is 1. One of my friend told me that he can determine the number of ways with inclusion-exclusion principle and found the result 195 for given N=10 and the positive integers are 12,46,100,131,5,6,7,8,9.

I can not still catch how he used inclusion-exclusion principle to find out the number of ways.Hence I need an expert's help.
If the value of N varies how can I find out the number of ways using inclusion-exclusion principle? I'm a novice in learning inclusion-exclusion principle.So I need better explanation

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that the number of distinct ##4##-sets that can be constructed from the given set is ##{10\choose4}=210## and that the number of ##4##-sets that include both 6 and 8 (and therefore would not have the desired property) is ##{8\choose 2}=28##, I'd say that your friend's solution is incorrect.

So I think you should demand a more in-depth explanation from your friend.

gopher_p said:
Given that the number of distinct ##4##-sets that can be constructed from the given set is ##{10\choose4}=210## and that the number of ##4##-sets that include both 6 and 8 (and therefore would not have the desired property) is ##{8\choose 2}=28##, I'd say that your friend's solution is incorrect.

So I think you should demand a more in-depth explanation from your friend.
I think the meaning is that, choosing 4 numbers {a,b,c,d}, we then examine whether gcd(a,b,c,d) = 1. Choosing 6 and 8 does not shut down that possibility.

Awlad Hossain said:
given N=10 and the positive integers are 12,46,100,131,5,6,7,8,9.
Clearly we do need at least one odd number, and while 7 and 131 are co-prime to all the other possible choices, 5 and 9 are not.

More difficult is finding the 10th number when only 9 are specified.

1. What is an inclusion-exclusion problem?

An inclusion-exclusion problem is a mathematical problem that involves counting the number of elements in a set that satisfies certain conditions, taking into account all possible combinations and overlaps of the conditions. It is a way to solve counting problems that involve multiple sets or conditions.

2. How do you solve an inclusion-exclusion problem?

To solve an inclusion-exclusion problem, you need to first identify all the conditions or sets involved. Then, you can use the inclusion-exclusion principle, which states that the total number of elements that satisfy at least one of the conditions is equal to the sum of the number of elements that satisfy each individual condition, minus the sum of the number of elements that satisfy the intersection of each pair of conditions, plus the sum of the number of elements that satisfy the intersection of each triplet of conditions, and so on. This process can be repeated until all overlaps are accounted for, giving the final answer.

3. What are some real-life examples of inclusion-exclusion problems?

Inclusion-exclusion problems are commonly used in statistics, probability, and combinatorics. Some real-life examples include counting the number of students who are taking both math and science classes, determining the number of people who have allergies to both peanuts and dairy, and calculating the probability of rolling a number that is either a multiple of 2 or a multiple of 3 on a dice.

4. What are the limitations of the inclusion-exclusion principle?

The inclusion-exclusion principle can become increasingly complex and tedious to use when dealing with a large number of sets or conditions. It also assumes that the sets or conditions are independent of each other, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, it does not take into account any other constraints or restrictions that may affect the problem.

5. How can inclusion-exclusion problems be applied in other fields?

Inclusion-exclusion problems can be applied in various fields, including computer science, economics, and biology. In computer science, they can be used for analyzing algorithm complexity and designing efficient algorithms. In economics, they can be used for market analysis and strategic decision making. In biology, they can be used for studying genetic inheritance and population genetics.