1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a system of Inequalities

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    Hello, I'm having some trouble with a Queuing Networks question, not the networks but solving a system of inqualities based on the network.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find the value of α that gives maximum γ, and then use the value. The system is defined by
    [tex]5\gamma< 1[/tex]
    [tex]20\gamma \alpha<1[/tex]
    [tex](60/0.9) \gamma (1-\alpha)<1[/tex]

Now [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a probability and lies in the region [itex] 0<\alpha<1[/itex]
    While [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a rate and is non-zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now I've got so far as to put the system in this form and to solve through to find that in the region
    [tex] 0< \alpha ≤ 10/13, that 0 < \gamma < -3/(200(\alpha-1)) [/tex]
    while in the region
    [tex] 10/13 < \alpha <1, that 0 < \gamma < 1/(20 \alpha) [/tex]

Thus the maximum value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] lies in the region [itex] \gamma < 13/200[/itex] when [itex]\alpha = 10/13 [/itex].

This much is fine, but I need to use an actual value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] in the next part of the question and I can't think how to get a [itex]\gamma = [/itex] expression. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

γ = 13/200 satisfies all the constraints;
    for α < 10/13, γ < 3/(200(1-α)) < 3/(200(1-10/13)) = 13/200, right?
    and for α > 10/13 etc.

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
    Yes but isn't that only if [tex] \gamma ≤ 13/200 [/tex] whereas in this case [tex] \gamma < 13/200 [/tex] so surely [itex] \gamma [/itex] must be infinitesimally less than this value?

5. Nov 17, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, now I understand your question properly.
    If you take the constraints as strict, there is no maximum value that satisfies them. No matter what value you pick, you can always get a slightly higher one.

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, optimization problems subject to strict inequality constraints do not have solutions: you may have an "inf" but not a minimum, or a "sup" but not a maximum. For example, what is the solution of the simple problem
    minimize x, subject to x > 0?
    Answer: the problem is ill-posed, and does not have a solution!

Often, when students are first introduced to such problems they are sloppy and write ">" when they should write "≥" or they write "<" when they should write "≤".

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook