1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving A System Of Linear Equations

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is to find the values of x and y that solve the following system of linear equations:

6751x + 3249y = 26751

3249x + 6751y = 23249

However, the caveat is that I must contrive a mental process of solving them--I must find x and y in my head.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Rather than waste time, I figured I would analytically solve for x and y, to see if the solved values elucidated some pattern; and then I would contrive a way to solve this problem mentally. I found that x = 3 and y = 2. This didn't seem to be of much advantage.

Before I did this, however, I jotted down a few initial observations:

(1) Notice, the coefficients of the different variables in different equations have the same
    value--6751x from the first equation and 6751y from the second equation. So, whatever value is chosen for x must different for y (I am not certain of my reasons of this observation. So, if someone could help me work through this observation, I would appreciate it.).

(2) I also noticed that the RHS of equation 1 is 20000 plus the coefficient of x. A Similar observation can be acquired by looking at equation 2.

I would appreciate someone who could stimulate my thoughts, but please don't just give me the solution. I want to be able to solve this problem on my own, to some degree, of course.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Well, 6 + 3 = 7 + 2 = 5 + 4 = 9 and 1 + 9 = 10, so 6751 + 3249 = 10000. Thus adding the equations gives 10000(x + y) = 50000 so x + y = 5.

You can subtract the second equation from the first to find x - y without having to calculate 6751-3249.

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If we let

[tex]a=6,751[/tex][tex]b=3,249[/tex][tex]c=20,000[/tex]

Then the equations can be expressed as

[tex]ax+by=c+a[/tex]
    [tex]bx+ay=c+b[/tex]

And if you subtract the second equation from the first, you'll get a nice simplification.

That criteria alone isn't sufficient enough to conclude that x and y must be different. For example,

[tex]2x+3y=5[/tex]
    [tex]7x+2y=9[/tex]

The coefficient of x in the first equation is equal to the coefficient of y in the second, but the solution to this system is (1,1).

However, if we add the restriction that the coefficient of y in the first is also equal to the coefficient of x in the second as we have in your question, then yes, the solutions to x and y must be different - assuming of course that both equations aren't equivalent.

5. Sep 15, 2013 #4
    A little more prodding towards the solution than I wanted (perhaps you folks should have began with the simple question of what would happen if you added the two equations), but I was able to solve it. Thanks, ya'll.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted