1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an indeterminate 0/0 limit without L'Hospital

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    Hi! I'd like to know how to solve the following limit without having to use L'Hospital's rule:

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{1}}{x^{\frac{1}{x-1}}}[/tex]

I've already solved it using the derivative rules but I want to know how to solve it without them. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I was mistaken, it's not a 0/0 indetermiante limit, it's 1^infinity. Edit the title, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2
    Does the limit from the left equal the limit from the right? Also, l'Hospital's rule doesn't apply to this kind of limit. What kinds does[\I] it apply to?

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3
    There's one point when you're solving this limit that you get an indeterminate 0/0 limit:

[tex]e\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{1}}{\frac{log(x)}{x-1}}[/tex]

When you get there you may apply L'Hospital's rule but I want to know how to continue without using it.

5. Mar 17, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, scurty, you can use L'Hopital, indirectly: If [itex]y= x^{1/(x-1)}[/itex] then [itex]ln(y)= (ln(x))/(x- 1)[/itex]which is of the form 0/0. Unfortunately, Hernaner28, I don't see any simple way to do this other than L'Hopital's rule.

6. Mar 17, 2012 #5
    I'm confused, I thought the limit doesn't exist? The limit from the left doesn't equal the limit from the right.

Edit: I'm on a mobile phone and I completely missed the x being raised to the power, I just saw the power. The x blended in with the lim. Okay, I understand what is being asked now.

7. Mar 17, 2012 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook