1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving angular acceleration Problem

1. May 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The absolute angle of the thigh has the following angular velocities during the support phase of
    walking. Calculate the angular acceleration at time 0.02s in rad/s and in deg/s

Time (s) Angular Velocity (rad/s)
    0 s ---- 1.033
    0.02s ------ 1.511
    0.04s ----- 1.882
    0.06s -----2.19

2. Relevant equations
    i used a= change in v/t but did not get the correct answer

3. The attempt at a solution
    i subtracted the final velocity from the velocity at 0.02 and did the same with time. so i got 0.679/0.04 but my answer is off. what am i doing wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2016 #2
    By doing what you did you get the average acceleration over the time interval t = 0.02 to t = 0.06. You need the angular acceleration at t = 0.02 . I think your best bet is to subtract v at t = 0.04 from the initial velocity to get the average acceleration over the interval t = 0 to t = 0.04 which would be approximately equal to the acceleration at t = 0.02. Does that help?

4. May 21, 2016 #3
    yes, thank you. by why minus from 0.04s- 0 and not from 0.06 - 0.02 ?

5. May 21, 2016 #4
    The acceleration is not constant in this case which can be verified by doing a = v/t for different intervals. Therefore in this case a = v/t gives the average acceleration over the time interval t. So for the acceleration at t = 0.02 we need the average acceleration for an interval which include t = 0.02. The best estimate would be the interval t = 0 to t = 0.04. The interval t = 0.02 to t = 0.06 may contain 0.02 but it's at an extreme thus the average over that interval does not represent the acceleration at that point.

Hope this helps.

6. May 21, 2016 #5
    thank you. i wanted to ask you when dealing with constant acceleration what equation do you use? do you use

v(final velocity)= u(initial velocity) + at (acceleration multiplied by time)

7. May 21, 2016 #6
    Yes. The equation is the same as the one we use except ours will give average acceleration as the acceleration is variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted