Solving angular acceleration Problem

Homework Statement

The absolute angle of the thigh has the following angular velocities during the support phase of
walking. Calculate the angular acceleration at time 0.02s in rad/s and in deg/s

Time (s) Angular Velocity (rad/s)
0 s ---- 1.033
0.02s ------ 1.511
0.04s ----- 1.882
0.06s -----2.19

Homework Equations

i used a= change in v/t but did not get the correct answer

The Attempt at a Solution

i subtracted the final velocity from the velocity at 0.02 and did the same with time. so i got 0.679/0.04 but my answer is off. what am i doing wrong ?

Answers and Replies

i subtracted the final velocity from the velocity at 0.02 and did the same with time. so i got 0.679/0.04 but my answer is off. what am i doing wrong ?

By doing what you did you get the average acceleration over the time interval t = 0.02 to t = 0.06. You need the angular acceleration at t = 0.02 . I think your best bet is to subtract v at t = 0.04 from the initial velocity to get the average acceleration over the interval t = 0 to t = 0.04 which would be approximately equal to the acceleration at t = 0.02. Does that help?

Likes pennywise1234
yes, thank you. by why minus from 0.04s- 0 and not from 0.06 - 0.02 ?

The acceleration is not constant in this case which can be verified by doing a = v/t for different intervals. Therefore in this case a = v/t gives the average acceleration over the time interval t. So for the acceleration at t = 0.02 we need the average acceleration for an interval which include t = 0.02. The best estimate would be the interval t = 0 to t = 0.04. The interval t = 0.02 to t = 0.06 may contain 0.02 but it's at an extreme thus the average over that interval does not represent the acceleration at that point.

Hope this helps.

Likes pennywise1234
thank you. i wanted to ask you when dealing with constant acceleration what equation do you use? do you use

v(final velocity)= u(initial velocity) + at (acceleration multiplied by time)

Yes. The equation is the same as the one we use except ours will give average acceleration as the acceleration is variable.