Solving differential equation involving initial value?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to the given differential equation and determining the integrating factor in order to solve it. The correct solution involves an exponential and can be obtained with an integrating factor, but it is easier to solve by realizing the equation is separable. The final solution involves an arbitrary constant, which can be determined by substituting in the initial conditions.
Chandasouk
dy/dt = y-5 , y(0) = y0

The general form for first ODE has to resemble this

dy/dt + p(t) = g(t)

so I moved the y over to the left side of the equation

dy/dt - y = -5

I think this is where I screw things up. It's not really in this form dy/dt + p(t) = g(t) but rather dy/dt - p(t) = g(t).

Regardless, I went to find an integrating factor [tex]\mu[/tex](t) = e[tex]\int[/tex]p(t)dt

which gave me e-t as my [tex]\mu[/tex](t). You then have to multiply that to both sides of this equation

dy/dt - y = -5

Is my procedure correct so far? Because I cannot get the correct answer which is

y=5+(y0-5)et

Physics news on Phys.org
Chandasouk said:
dy/dt = y-5 , y(0) = y0

The general form for first ODE has to resemble this

dy/dt + p(t) = g(t)

so I moved the y over to the left side of the equation

dy/dt - y = -5

I think this is where I screw things up. It's not really in this form dy/dt + p(t) = g(t) but rather dy/dt - p(t) = g(t).

Regardless, I went to find an integrating factor [tex]\mu[/tex](t) = e[tex]\int[/tex]p(t)dt

which gave me e-t as my [tex]\mu[/tex](t). You then have to multiply that to both sides of this equation

dy/dt - y = -5

Is my procedure correct so far? Because I cannot get the correct answer which is

y=5+(y0-5)et

I'm not sure you wrote the problem correctly. You have dy/dt - y = -5 but y is not of the form p(t).

I get y=[tex]\frac{5t+y(0)}{1-t}[/tex]

mathstew said:
I'm not sure you wrote the problem correctly. You have dy/dt - y = -5 but y is not of the form p(t).

I get y=[tex]\frac{5t+y(0)}{1-t}[/tex]

Well, that's wrong. The solution is an exponential. You can probably get it with an integrating factor. But it's a lot easier if you just realize the equation is separable.

Last edited:
I actually am behind two lectures because I switched into a new math section, so could you show how to do it with integrating factor?

There's no need. Just take the initial and divide both sides by (y-5). Then you have something integrable.

To elaborate on what Char. Limit said, separate the original equation like this:
[tex]\frac{dy}{y - 5} = dt[/tex]
Now integrate both sides.

I took the integral and got

ln(y-5) = t+c

taking e of both sides gives

(y-5) = et+C

I do y(0) = y0 =(y-5) = et+C

How do I get my C term?

Chandasouk said:
I took the integral and got

ln(y-5) = t+c

taking e of both sides gives

(y-5) = et+C

I do y(0) = y0 =(y-5) = et+C

How do I get my C term?

You can write e^(t+C) as C*e^t since C is an arbitrary constant. So put t=0 and y=y0 into y-5=C*e^t. What's C?

Thanks, Dick. I wasn't aware that you could rewrite it that way. I'll have to keep that in mind. C is then y0-5

Chandasouk said:
Thanks, Dick. I wasn't aware that you could rewrite it that way. I'll have to keep that in mind. C is then y0-5

e^(x+C)=e^C*e^x. Since C is arbitrary you may as well just call e^C the arbitrary constant and write it C*e^x.

Related to Solving differential equation involving initial value?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to another variable. It involves the derivative of a function, which represents the rate of change of the quantity.

2. What is an initial value?

An initial value is the value of the variable in a differential equation at the starting point or time. It is usually denoted as y(0) or y(t0) and is used to solve for the specific solution to the equation.

3. How do you solve a differential equation involving initial value?

To solve a differential equation involving initial value, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and then using the initial value to find the constant of integration.

4. What is the general solution and particular solution of a differential equation?

The general solution of a differential equation is an equation that contains all possible solutions to the equation. It usually includes a constant of integration. A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial value.

5. Why is it important to solve differential equations involving initial value?

Differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Solving them helps us understand the behavior of these systems and make predictions. Additionally, initial values allow us to find a unique solution to the equation, making it more useful and applicable in practical situations.