Solving differential equations with definite integrals?

In summary, the merit of using definite integrals in solving initial-value problems is simply a matter of convenience and personal preference. Both methods, using indefinite integrals and solving for the integration constant, or using definite integrals with the correct starting conditions, will give the same result. Some may find using definite integrals quicker and more straightforward, while others may prefer the traditional method of solving for the integration constant. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to choose which method they are more comfortable with.
awvvu
I'm taking a calculus-based physics course, and we were solving a simple differential equation for a model of drag by separating variables: (where A is some arbitrary constant)

[tex]m \frac {dv} {dt} = -A v^2[/tex]
[tex]- \frac {m} {A} \frac {dv} {v^2} = dt[/tex]

My teacher then integrates both sides, but unlike in my calculus class, he uses definite integrals:

[tex]- \frac {m} {A} \int_{v_i}^{v_f} v^{-2} dv = \int_{t_i}^{t_f} dt[/tex]

Initial time will be zero for simplicity, so using the FTC:

[tex]\frac {m} {A} (\frac {1} {v_f} - \frac {1} {v_i}) = t_f[/tex]

I understand how to solve it as is done from my calculus class, using indefinite integrals and solving for the constant of integration [itex]C = \frac {m} {A v_i}[/itex], which gives an equivalent result.

So what's the merit of using one method as opposed to another? It seems to me like using definite integrals is quicker.

So if I do physics problems this way, why should/shouldn't I do the initial-value problems I get in calculus using definite integrals like this? Like when it asks to solve [itex]dy/dx = 3y, y(2) = 5[/itex] or such, what's wrong with doing [itex]\frac {1} {3} \int_{5}^{y_f} y^{-1} dy = \int_{2}^{x_f} dx[/itex]? Both methods give the same result, and again, it seems quicker to do this the definite integral way rather than solving for C.

I'm guessing that it might be harder to understand what's going on as things get more complex, or something? Or I guess using subscripts on variables to really indicate evaluating the function for the independent variable is problematic?

(Whew, sorry for the length, but this has been bugging me for a while.)

Last edited:
Likes PFuser1232
Physics news on Phys.org
It really doesn't matter. What matters is that you are given a differential equation with an initial condition. From the differential equation you can find the general solution, and then somehow you have to impose the initial condition. You can do this after writing down the general solution (by first doing an indefinite integral and then solving for the unknown integration constant) or you solve the equation with the correct starting conditions right away. Of course they (should) give the same results in the end. It works the same way for higher order equations, e.g.
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = a[/tex]
(Which I won't work out because I'm not really comfortable working with the infinitesimals as you did above.)

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, based on the rate of change of that quantity. They are often used to model natural phenomena in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has two limits, or boundaries, that define the beginning and end points of the area being calculated.

Why is solving differential equations with definite integrals important?

Solving differential equations with definite integrals allows scientists to accurately model and predict how a quantity will change over time. This is crucial in many fields of science, as it helps us understand and predict complex natural phenomena.

What are some common methods for solving differential equations with definite integrals?

Some commonly used methods for solving differential equations with definite integrals include separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent and independent variables, making the equation easier to solve.

Can differential equations with definite integrals be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, differential equations with definite integrals can be solved both analytically (using algebraic techniques) and numerically (using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods). The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.