Solving Displacement of Mass on Spring at v=1m/s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Glorzifen
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 0.10kg mass is on a spring with k = 0.10 N/m. At time t=0s it crosses x=0m with a velocity of 2.0m/s. What is its displacement when v=1.0m/s?

Homework Equations


x(t) = Acos(wt + [tex]\varphi[/tex])
v(t) = -wAsin(wt + [tex]\varphi[/tex])
w = [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


According to the question...shouldn't v(0) = 2? When a plug those numbers into the v(t) equation I get: v(0) = -wAsin(0) = 0...in other words, v(0) = 0...what am I missing here? I have an idea of where to go from here, but if someone could clarify how I'm supposed to start, that would be great. Thanks for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Glorzifen said:

The Attempt at a Solution


According to the question...shouldn't v(0) = 2? When a plug those numbers into the v(t) equation I get: v(0) = -wAsin(0) = 0...in other words, v(0) = 0...what am I missing here? I have an idea of where to go from here, but if someone could clarify how I'm supposed to start, that would be great. Thanks for your time.

Remember you have x=Acos(ωt+φ) so x(0) = Acosφ

v=Aωsin(ωt+φ), v(0) does not give you Aωsin(0), remember there is still φ which is unaffected by t being equal to zero.
 


rock.freak667 said:
Remember you have x=Acos(ωt+φ) so x(0) = Acosφ

v=Aωsin(ωt+φ), v(0) does not give you Aωsin(0), remember there is still φ which is unaffected by t being equal to zero.

Okay - not sure if this route even needs to be undertaken at all though...does this work?:

Etotal = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]kx2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2

Etotal = 0 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]0.1(2)2

Etotal = 0.2

0.2 = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](0.1)x2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]0.1(1)2

x = 1.7

Does that work?