1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving (e[SUP]i[/SUP])[SUP]i[/SUP]

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    Hey guys,

I have the following question that I am trying to solve. Would really like to solve it on my own first so I'd appriciate hints first! :D

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve (ei)i

The attempt at a solution

(ei)i = (cos pi/pi + isin pi/pi)i
    = (cos i + isin i) (Euler's Formula)

I'm not sure if I'm even right till this point but this is the furthest that I have managed to come so far. ):

Thanks in advance guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It might be more helpful to note that if [itex]y= (e^i)^i[/itex] then [itex]ln(y)= i ln(e^i)= i^2= -1[/itex]. And, of course, [itex]ln(re^{i\theta}= ln(r)+ i(\theta+ 2k\pi)[/itex].

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    Wouldn't that leave me with ln y = -1 and ln y = ln i?

Anyway thanks for your quick reply HallsofIvy! Your quick reply is very much appriciated as usual! :D

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

(ei)i = ei*i = e-1 = ......

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5
    I thought of this but didn't think it would be this simple hahaha. So just the calculator value of e-1? :D

7. Aug 21, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, "[itex]2k\pi[/itex] is always a multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex], not [itex]\pi. You would only get ln y= -1.

Ouch! Of course!

8. Aug 21, 2011 #7

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I had a post here which I deleted, as I missed the same thing. HallsofIvy's point is correct in general, in that complex numbers can have an infinite number of complex logarithms (think of what happens with taking roots with DeMoivre's Theorem, where there are six sixth roots of 1 , and so forth; it gets worse with logarithms).

However, they were cute with this problem because all of the logarithms fall in the same spot on an Argand diagram.

If we work with the complex exponential forms for sine and cosine, e.g., [itex]\cos z = \frac{e^{iz} + e^{-iz}}{2} [/itex], we just get one real value for ( cos i + i sin i ) . Other staged exponentials involving complex numbers may not resolve so neatly...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook