Problem regarding complex numbers

In summary: If you are then please read this. Thanks.In summary, the person is trying to find a procedure for a problem they are having, and is seeking help.
sankalpmittal

Homework Statement

If m and x are two real numbers where m ε Integers, then e2micot-1x{(xi+1)/(xi-1)}m, (where i=√(-1)) is equal to :

(a) cos(x) + isin(x)
(b) m/2
(c) 1
(d) (m+1)/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I seriously have no clear cut idea of how to proceed. I used this technique,

Since m is an integer, then I put m=0, and got the correct answer. :p

But I want a procedure, not a hit and trial method, of how to proceed.

I can write above as

{cos (2mcot-1x) + isin(2mcot-1x)}{(xi+1)/(xi-1)}m

But how to proceed after this ? Hints will do..

Please help !

Thanks in advance...:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
sankalpmittal said:

Homework Statement

If m and x are two real numbers where m ε Integers, then e2micot-1x{(xi+1)/(xi-1)}m, (where i=√(-1)) is equal to :

(a) cos(x) + isin(x)
(b) m/2
(c) 1
(d) (m+1)/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I seriously have no clear cut idea of how to proceed. I used this technique,

Since m is an integer, then I put m=0, and got the correct answer. :p

But I want a procedure, not a hit and trial method, of how to proceed.

I can write above as

{cos (2mcot-1x) + isin(2mcot-1x)}{(xi+1)/(xi-1)}m

But how to proceed after this ? Hints will do..

Please help !

Thanks in advance...:smile:

First of all: what is meant by ##\cot^{-1} x?## (I know it, but do you?) Try to set ##y = \cot^{-1} x## and see where that gets you.

Hello sankalp!

Look at ##xi+1##. Can you convert it to e^{i*something}? :)

Ray Vickson said:
First of all: what is meant by ##\cot^{-1} x?## (I know it, but do you?) Try to set ##y = \cot^{-1} x## and see where that gets you.
I know what it is. Its an inverse trigonometric function with range 0 to pi, boundaries exclusive. Are you insisting to substitute y with cot inverse x ?
Pranav-Arora said:
Hello sankalp!

Look at ##xi+1##. Can you convert it to e^{i*something}? :)

Yeah. I got the answer. Thanks.

Rays approach also worked.

Thanks..

The question you asked in one post was from present fiitjee aits. Are you giving a second try for jee ?

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are important because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved with only real numbers, and they have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a number line, while a complex number has both a real and an imaginary component, and cannot be represented on a number line. Real numbers include integers, fractions, and decimals, while complex numbers include the imaginary unit i which is equal to the square root of -1.

3. How do you add, subtract, multiply, and divide complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract their real and imaginary components separately. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, where you distribute each term of the first complex number to each term of the second complex number. To divide complex numbers, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, which is the same complex number but with the sign of the imaginary component flipped.

4. Can you graph complex numbers on a Cartesian plane?

No, complex numbers cannot be graphed on a Cartesian plane because they have two components (real and imaginary) while a Cartesian plane only has two axes (x and y).

5. What is the geometric interpretation of a complex number?

A complex number can be represented as a point on a 2-dimensional plane called the complex plane, where the x-axis represents the real component and the y-axis represents the imaginary component. The magnitude of a complex number is its distance from the origin, and the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the point to the origin represents the argument or phase angle of the complex number.