Solving EM Problem with Variation of Parameters

In summary, the specific solution is x(t)=C_1e(qBz/m)t+C_2e(-qBz/m)t which satisfies the initial conditions.
HPRF
I am trying to solve the following equation using the variation of parameters method

d2x/dt2-(q2Bz2/m2)x=qEx/m

I have put x1=cos(t) and x2=sin(t) into the Wronskian method. Can someone tell me if these are the correct functions to use, or should I be using exponential functions.

Any help would be great...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is of the form x'' - a2x = b. This will have solutions of the form eax and e-ax for the homogeneous equation and a constant function for a particular solution of the non-homogeneous equation.

Google "constant coefficient differential equations" in Google.

This has given me the general equation

x(t)=C1e(qBz/m)t + C2e(-qBz/m)t

Assuming this to be correct I have the conditions x=0, vx=0 at t=0. These do not give me specific values for C1 or C2. It gives

C1 = -C2 and C1 = C2 respectively.

A specific solution is expected. Should I be looking for other conditions or am I doing something wrong?

You have solutions to the homogeneous equation. You need to add a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation before you have the general solution. Then you can figure out the constants.

HPRF said:
This has given me the general equation

x(t)=C1e(qBz/m)t + C2e(-qBz/m)t

Assuming this to be correct I have the conditions x=0, vx=0 at t=0. These do not give me specific values for C1 or C2. It gives

C1 = -C2 and C1 = C2 respectively.

A specific solution is expected. Should I be looking for other conditions or am I doing something wrong?
I assume you are no longer talking about the non-homogeneous equation.

Yes, those initial conditions give [itex]C_1= -C_2[/itex] and [itex]C_1= C_2[/itex]. But why do you say they do not give a specific solution? Adding the two equations, [itex]C_2[/itex] cancels and we have [itex]2C_1= 0[/itex] so [itex]C_1= 0[/itex] and then [itex]C_2= 0[/itex]. You can't get more "specific" than that!

That is, the solution to [itex]d^2x/dt^2-(q^2B_z^2/m^2)x= 0[/itex] with v(0)= 0, [itex]v_x(0)= 0[/itex] is the constant function x(t)= 0. It should be obvious that x(t)= 0 satisifies both differential equation and initial conditions.

Warning: If you are still talking about the non-homogeneous equation, you cannot first find [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] by using the initial conditions and then add the "specific solution". The entire solution, both "homogeneous" part and "specific solution", together, must satisfy the intial conditions.

First add the specific solution to get the entire solution, then apply the initial conditions.

1. What is the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method is a technique used to solve inhomogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by varying the parameters in the general solution of the associated homogeneous equation.

2. When should I use the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method should be used when the right-hand side of the differential equation is a sum or product of known functions. It is also useful when the coefficients of the differential equation are not constant.

3. How do I apply the variation of parameters method?

To apply the variation of parameters method, first find the general solution of the associated homogeneous equation. Then, find the particular solution by assuming a solution of the form y_p=u_1(x)y_1(x)+u_2(x)y_2(x), where y_1(x) and y_2(x) are solutions of the homogeneous equation and u_1(x) and u_2(x) are functions to be determined.

4. What are the advantages of using the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method allows for the solution of inhomogeneous linear differential equations with non-constant coefficients. It is also more general compared to other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to using the variation of parameters method?

One limitation of the variation of parameters method is that it can become computationally complex for higher-order differential equations. It also may not work for certain types of inhomogeneous equations, such as those with repeated roots or complex roots.