Solving equation of motion for two body problem

In summary, the equation for the velocity is \frac{dv}{dr}v=\sqrt{v_0^2+2c(\frac{1}{r_0}-\frac{1}{r})}
Robin04

Homework Statement

##\ddot{r} = c \frac{1}{r^2}##, where ##c## is a constant, and ##r## is the position of one object with respect to the other. I need to find the function ##\dot{r}(r)##

We are in one dimension.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have any idea how to start.
The acceleration is a function of the position, but the position is also a function of the acceleration. To get ##\dot{r}## I should integrate with respect to time but ##r## is dependent on time which makes it problematic as I won't need that in my solution. There has to be some magic trick here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:
There has to be some magic trick here.

Let ##v=dr/dt##. Then,
$$\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2} = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dr} \frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dr} v.$$

Likes Robin04
George Jones said:
Let ##v=dr/dt##. Then,
$$\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2} = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dr} \frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dr} v.$$
So ##c\frac{1}{r^2}= \frac{dv}{dr}v##, then ##\frac{c}{vr^2}=\frac{dv}{dr}##, and ##v = \int \frac{c}{vr^2} dr##, whis means ##v^2=c\int \frac{1}{r^2}dr##.
##v= \sqrt{C-\frac{c}{r}}## is this correct? (##C## is the constant of integration)

Robin04 said:
So ##c\frac{1}{r^2}= \frac{dv}{dr}v##, then ##\frac{c}{vr^2}=\frac{dv}{dr}##, and ##v = \int \frac{c}{vr^2} dr##, whis means ##v^2=c\int \frac{1}{r^2}dr##.
##v= \sqrt{C-\frac{c}{r}}## is this correct? (##C## is the constant of integration)
No, you need to separate the r and v.

##c\frac{1}{r^2}~dr = v~dv##

Now both sides can be integrated.

Likes Robin04
gneill said:
No, you need to separate the r and v.

##c\frac{1}{r^2}~dr = v~dv##

Now both sides can be integrated.
##C-\frac{c}{r} = \frac{v^2}{2}##
##v=\sqrt{K-\frac{2c}{r}}##, where ##K=2C##

Robin04 said:
##C-\frac{c}{r} = \frac{v^2}{2}##
##v=\sqrt{K-\frac{2c}{r}}##, where ##K=2C##

Instead of doing indefinite integrals and having a constant of integration, you might want to do definite integrals with limits from ##r_0## to ##r## and ##v_0## to ##v##. This automatically incorporates initial conditions.

Likes SammyS and Robin04
George Jones said:
Instead of doing indefinite integrals and having a constant of integration, you might want to do definite integrals with limits from ##r_0## to ##r## and ##v_0## to ##v##. This automatically incorporates initial conditions.
##\int_{r_0}^r \frac{c}{r^2}dr= \int_{v_0}^v v dv##
##-\frac{c}{r}+\frac{c}{r_0}=\frac{v^2}{2}-\frac{v_0^2}{2}##
##v=\sqrt{v_0^2+2c(\frac{1}{r_0}-\frac{1}{r})}##

Likes gneill
@gneill liked my last comment, so I guess it's correct. Thank you very much for your help! :)

1. What is the equation of motion for a two body problem?

The equation of motion for a two body problem is a mathematical representation of the motion of two objects that interact with each other through gravitational forces. It is based on Newton's law of universal gravitation and the laws of motion.

2. How do you solve the equation of motion for a two body problem?

To solve the equation of motion for a two body problem, you need to use numerical methods or analytical methods. Numerical methods involve using computers to solve the equations, while analytical methods involve using mathematical formulas and calculations.

3. What are the variables involved in the equation of motion for a two body problem?

The variables involved in the equation of motion for a two body problem include the masses of the two objects, their positions in space, their velocities, and the gravitational constant. Other variables may also be included depending on the specific problem being solved.

4. How does solving the equation of motion for a two body problem help in understanding celestial motion?

Solving the equation of motion for a two body problem helps in understanding celestial motion by providing a mathematical model that can predict the positions and velocities of celestial bodies in space. This allows us to study and analyze the motions of planets, moons, comets, and other objects in the universe.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving the equation of motion for a two body problem?

Solving the equation of motion for a two body problem has a wide range of real-life applications, including predicting the motion of artificial satellites and spacecraft, understanding the orbits of planets and moons, and predicting the behavior of binary star systems. It is also used in fields such as astrodynamics, aerospace engineering, and astronomy.