1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for a factor in a large sum

1. Dec 21, 2013 #1
    Dear everyone.

First of all Merry Xmas, when everybody gets to that.

I have a problem solving for a factor within a sum.

My formula looks as follows:

T = Æ© It * A0t

The sum runs from t=1 to N, and the aim is to solve for A0, but all my calculations end up extremely messy.

All the best,

Dan

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2013 #2
    What is It?

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reponse.

That is the t'th observation of I. They have no well-defined relation to t. In other words; just a bunch of numbers.

5. Dec 21, 2013 #4
    In that case, your equation seems to be a general polynomial of order N. I guess N is probably fairly large (as in... not 2 or 3). You will need to use some numerical method to find roots of the function f(A0) = Æ© It * A0t - T.

I suggest Newton's method, it should be convenient to implement, because you can easily compute the derivative of the function analytically.

6. Dec 21, 2013 #5
    Actually it is not that large (N, that is), it is just that it varies a lot from case to case and hence I have written it as a sum.

Thanks so much for the response. I will try to see if it gets me any further!

7. Dec 21, 2013 #6
    And just to be clear. The A_0 has t as their exponent. It is not a subscript!

8. Dec 21, 2013 #7
    If N is equal to 3 or 4, the polynomial is still solvable by analytic methods, but in general it is easier to use a numerical technique like Newton's Method (which is very easy to program if you choose to do that).

The N = 3 case isn't this bad, but consider the solutions for N = 4:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Quartic_Formula.svg

Of course, if you know ##a## is a solution to the polynomial, you can long divide by ##(x-a)## to reduce the degree by 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook