Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for a factor in a large sum

1. Dec 21, 2013 #1
    Dear everyone.

First of all Merry Xmas, when everybody gets to that.

I have a problem solving for a factor within a sum.

My formula looks as follows:

T = Æ© It * A0t

The sum runs from t=1 to N, and the aim is to solve for A0, but all my calculations end up extremely messy.

All the best,

Dan

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2013 #2
    What is It?

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reponse.

That is the t'th observation of I. They have no well-defined relation to t. In other words; just a bunch of numbers.

5. Dec 21, 2013 #4
    In that case, your equation seems to be a general polynomial of order N. I guess N is probably fairly large (as in... not 2 or 3). You will need to use some numerical method to find roots of the function f(A0) = Æ© It * A0t - T.

I suggest Newton's method, it should be convenient to implement, because you can easily compute the derivative of the function analytically.

6. Dec 21, 2013 #5
    Actually it is not that large (N, that is), it is just that it varies a lot from case to case and hence I have written it as a sum.

Thanks so much for the response. I will try to see if it gets me any further!

7. Dec 21, 2013 #6
    And just to be clear. The A_0 has t as their exponent. It is not a subscript!

8. Dec 21, 2013 #7
    If N is equal to 3 or 4, the polynomial is still solvable by analytic methods, but in general it is easier to use a numerical technique like Newton's Method (which is very easy to program if you choose to do that).

The N = 3 case isn't this bad, but consider the solutions for N = 4:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Quartic_Formula.svg

Of course, if you know ##a## is a solution to the polynomial, you can long divide by ##(x-a)## to reduce the degree by 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook