1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for complex eigenvalues

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Quick question:

I have a characteristic polynomial: λ2 + i = 0.........how do I solve for the eigenvalues?

They're suppose to be + or - (√2/2)(1 - i) How'd they get those?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

λ^2=(-i)=exp(i*3*pi/2). Use deMoivre.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    I'm kind of shaky with deMoivre, is there another way?

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only harder ways. deMoivre is the easy way. One square root of exp(i*t) is exp(i*t/2). What does that lead to your case? Then use exp(i*t/2)=cos(t/2)+i*sin(t/2).

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5
    Only reason I ask is because we were not really shown the deMoivre way in class,...to think of it, we weren't even shown a way to solve for these complex roots. I'll give deMoivre's a try.

Another question, just out of curiosity:

Say I have a basis for the Ker(T). T being the transformation. Say I have an arbitrary vector v in V. Can I write v as a linear combination of the basis of the Ker(T), and if so do the co-efficients that I obtain from this linear combination make a co-ordinate vector in V, that if I apply the transformation T to this co-ordinate vector, will it map to the null-space in Im(T)?

7. Feb 29, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, for the first one you need (a+bi)(a+bi)=a^2-b^2+2abi=(-i). Equating real and imaginary parts you get two equations for the real numbers a and b. Now try to solve them.

For the second one. You can't write an arbitrary element of element of V as a combination of the basis of Ker(T) unless it's in Ker(T). And then it will map to 0 in Im(T). I'm not sure what the real question is here?

8. Feb 29, 2012 #7
    Yup, that's what I was asking about.

so I get two equations: a2-b2 = 0 and 0 + 2abi = -i Is that what you mean?

I'm also trying the deMoivre way. So as of now, I'm converting -i into polar co-ordinates in order to use de Moivre: so currently I have 1 sin[itex]\sigma[/itex], how do you get [itex]\sigma[/itex] to be pi/2 ?

9. Feb 29, 2012 #8
    well I figured out the pi/2, how it's obtained; but I got -pi/2. I got it from b = r sin[itex]\sigma[/itex] ==>

-1 = 1 sin[itex]\sigma[/itex], and then figured out for [itex]\sigma[/itex].

10. Feb 29, 2012 #9
    wanted to delete this message.......I'm actually still puzzled when it comes to the -pi/2

11. Mar 1, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

exp(-i*pi/2)=cos(-pi/2)+i*sin(-pi/2)=(-i), right? A square root of that is exp(-i*pi/4)=cos(-pi/4)+i*sin(-pi/4). Which equals?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook