Solving for k1 and k2 in a Simple Electrical Engineering Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific problem in an introductory electrical engineering course involving the equation for charge entering a terminal of an element. The question asks for the values of k1 and k2, and the person is unsure how to begin but mentions the use of integrals. Another person mentions that this type of problem can be seen in solving differential equations and Fourier series.
wk1989
Hi, I'm doing an introductory electrical engineering course on my own and so far have gotten a few pages into the book. I understand pretty much all the problems so far except for this one.
"The charge entering a terminal of an element is given by the equation
Code:
q(t) = (k1)t^2+(k2)t
Where 1 and 2 are subscripts.
If i(0) = -5 A and i(1)=+5A, find k1 and k2."

I think you have to use the integral of i(t) which gives q(t) but I'm not sure how to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not the integral of i(t), instead start with this basic equation:

[tex]i = \frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

thanks!

Just a note to the OP, such type of solving for constants can be seen in solving particular solutions for differential equations and Fourier series (if you take it a step ahead.) Just something to remember, so that when you actually see it later on, it'll be a piece of cake.

Related to Solving for k1 and k2 in a Simple Electrical Engineering Question

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electrical charge. It is a form of energy that is present in the natural world and can be harnessed for various uses.

2. How does electricity work?

Electricity works by the movement of electrons, which are tiny particles that carry a negative charge. The movement of these electrons creates an electric current, which can be used to power devices and machines.

3. What are the different types of electricity?

The two main types of electricity are direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction and is commonly used in batteries, while AC alternates between flowing in two directions and is used in most household electrical outlets.

4. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in various ways, including through the burning of fossil fuels, nuclear power, hydropower, and renewable sources such as solar and wind energy. These methods involve converting energy from a different source into electrical energy.

5. How is electricity measured?

Electricity is measured in units of energy known as watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). The amount of energy used over a period of time is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh). Electricity bills often show the amount of energy used in kWh and the cost per kWh.