Electric Circuit Capacitor Charge question

In summary, the conversation discusses an RC circuit with given values for capacitors and resistors, and the goal of finding functions for current and voltage of each capacitor. The conversation also involves a discussion on using Kirchhoff's voltage law to set up a differential equation for charge, and the confusion surrounding initial conditions and the presence of a voltage source in the loop.
cmmcnamara

Homework Statement

An RC circuit is given with a 1μF capacitor, a 25kΩ resistor and a 4μF capacitor, all in series. Initially, the 1μF capacitor has a voltage of 40V, while the 4μF capacitor has a voltage of 0V. The circuit, starting from the left and going clockwise is, 1μF (reverse polarity), the resistor and then the 4μF capacitor (regular polarity).

The goal is to find the functions governing current and the voltage of each capacitor (total of three functions).

i(t)=?, v1(t)=?, v4(t)=?

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum[/itex]V=0
V=IR
Q=CV
I=dQ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying KVL I get:

V1=Vr+V4

Q1/C1=IR+Q2/C2

Q1/C1=Q'R+Q2/C2

This equation becomes very confusing to me. Firstly there are two charge functions of time. I can eliminate this problem by noting that since the circuit is a series, the current is constant throughout all elements meaning that dQ1/dt=dQ2/dt, so I can differentiate this DE and get:

Q1'/C1=Q1''R+Q1'/C2

Q1''+[(C1-C2)/(C1C2R)]Q1'=0

Which leads me to conclude that:

Q1(t)= k1+k2exp([(C2-C1)/(C1C2R)]t

however I can go further, because since I=dQ1/dt=dQ2/dt, then Q2=∫(dQ1/dt)dt, so I get the following:

Q1(t)= k1+k2exp([(C2-C1)/(C1C2R)]t
Q2(t)= k3+k2exp([(C2-C1)/(C1C2R)]t
I(t)= ([(C2-C1)/(C1C2R)]k2exp([(C2-C1)/(C1C2R)]t

However, this leads to a problem. The initial conditions are:

Q1(0)=C1V1i=(1μF)(40V)=40μC
Q2(0)=C2V2i=(4μF)(0V)=0μC
I(0)=0 A

Which gives me:

k1=40 μC
k2=0 μC
k3=0 μC

and:

Q1(t)= 40 μC
Q2(t)= 0 μC
I(t)= 0 A

Can someone point out the error in my reasoning? I've been over it countless times and it all makes sense to me, but there is obviously a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Am at work right now so will try this problem later on. But on first glance...when the circuit is made, then given that the initial voltage on the 1uf cap is 40V, it should act as a voltage source of V=40V at t=0, and then exponentially discharge, no?

What do you mean by "reverse polarity" and "regular polarity"? A sketch showing polarity definition would help.

cmmcnamara,

Can someone point out the error in my reasoning? I've been over it countless times and it all makes sense to me, but there is obviously a problem.

I did not even bother to look at your work, because I can tell right away that you are making too big a deal out of it. It is a simple single loop equation. Set up the differential loop equations for the two caps and the resistor and solve. Forget about charge and just solve for the loop current. That's all there is to it. So set up the equations and I will let you know if you did it correctly. Then you can continue on to solve the equation for current.

Ratch

That is how I derived the differential equation for charge, I used KVL around the loop and applied the information for the caps and resistor. If I find the function for charge the voltage function for each capacitor will be easy to determine using their capacitance and the derivative of the charge function will be the current through the loop because all elements are in series. I think the problem may lie in my choice of initial conditions but I don't see it.

cmmcnamara,

Here is the loop equation. Remember V=(1/C)∫i(t)dt

(1/C1)∫i(t)dt+(1/C2)∫i(t)dt+i(t)*R+40=0

Can you solve this differential equation?

Ratch

I'm not I understand your loop equation. There is no voltage source in the loop, so I'm not understanding where the 40V term is coming from.

cmmcnamara,

There is no voltage source in the loop, so I'm not understanding where the 40V term is coming from.

Sure there is. One of the caps is energized to 40 volts, isn't it?

Ratch

Yes initially it is so wouldn't that be part of the initial conditions?

cmmcnamara,

Yes initially it is so wouldn't that be part of the initial conditions?

Yes, it is. Mathematically, a constant voltage source in series with a unenergized cap is the same as a cap energized at the same voltage with no voltage source in series.

Ratch

1. What is a capacitor charge?

A capacitor charge refers to the process of storing electrical energy in a capacitor, which is a device that can store and release electrical charge. A capacitor consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and when connected to a power source, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates and stores energy in the capacitor.

2. How does a capacitor charge in an electric circuit?

In an electric circuit, when a capacitor is connected to a power source, such as a battery, the capacitor starts to charge. Electrons from the negative terminal of the battery flow onto one plate of the capacitor, giving it a negative charge. At the same time, electrons from the other plate flow onto the positive terminal of the battery, leaving it with a positive charge. This process continues until the capacitor is fully charged.

3. What factors affect the rate of capacitor charging?

The rate of capacitor charging is affected by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage of the power source, and the resistance of the circuit. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, while a higher voltage and lower resistance will result in a faster charging rate.

4. How can I calculate the charge on a capacitor?

The charge on a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. For example, if a capacitor has a capacitance of 10 microfarads and is connected to a 12-volt power source, the charge on the capacitor would be 120 microcoulombs (10 x 12 = 120).

5. Can a capacitor hold an unlimited amount of charge?

No, a capacitor has a maximum charge it can hold, which is determined by its capacitance and the voltage of the power source. When the capacitor reaches its maximum charge, it becomes fully charged and cannot store any more energy. Attempting to overcharge a capacitor can cause it to fail or even explode.