Solving for Kinetic Energy Lost in Spring Gun

In summary, a ball of mass 56 g is shot into the barrel of a spring gun of mass 222 g at a speed of 20 m/s. The ball sticks in the barrel at the point of maximum compression of the spring. The final velocity is calculated to be -4.03 m/s using the equation m1v1=(m1+m2)v2. To determine the fraction of the initial kinetic energy stored in the spring, the equation U=Ki-Kf can be used, where Ki is 0 and Kf is 2257.49. However, dividing the potential energy by the kinetic energy would result in division by 0. Further calculations are needed to determine the exact fraction of energy stored in

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m = 56 g is shot with speed vi = 20 m/s (in the negative direction of an x axis) into the barrel of a spring gun of mass M = 222 g initially at rest on a frictionless surface. The ball sticks in the barrel at the point of maximum compression of the spring. Assume that the increase in thermal energy due to friction between the ball and the barrel is negligible. What fraction of the initial kinetic energy of the ball is stored in the spring?

Homework Equations

m1v1=(m1+m2)v2
K=.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the final velocity to be -4.03 m/s by using m1v1=(m1+m2)v2 and got v2 to be -4.03m/s. From here I am kind of stuck. It means that its stored as potential energy...so U=Ki-Kf and I have Ki as 0 and Kf as 2257.49. Would i take the potential divided by the Kinetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
your on the right tracks

but if you take the potential divided by kinetic, you get division by 0

still stumped

1. What is kinetic energy lost in a spring gun?

Kinetic energy lost in a spring gun is the energy that is dissipated or lost due to the friction and resistance within the spring and gun mechanism.

2. How is kinetic energy lost calculated in a spring gun?

The kinetic energy lost in a spring gun can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the projectile and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy lost in a spring gun?

The amount of kinetic energy lost in a spring gun can be affected by factors such as the type and strength of the spring, the weight and shape of the projectile, and the smoothness of the gun mechanism.

4. Can the kinetic energy lost in a spring gun be reduced?

Yes, the kinetic energy lost in a spring gun can be reduced by using a more powerful or efficient spring, reducing the weight of the projectile, and ensuring the gun mechanism is well lubricated.

5. Why is it important to consider kinetic energy lost in a spring gun?

It is important to consider kinetic energy lost in a spring gun because it affects the accuracy and velocity of the projectile. The more energy that is lost, the less force will be exerted on the projectile, resulting in a shorter range and less precision.

Back