1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for Motion Information on a elevator and some lights

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1

Dko

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A decorative light fixture in an elevator consists of a 2.0 kg light suspended by a cable from the ceiling of the elevator. From this light, a separate presses the emergency stop button. During the stop, the upper cable snaps. The elevator engineer says that the cable could withstand a force of 40 N without breaking.

2. Relevant equations
    v2 = v1 + a12(t2-t1)
    r2 = r1 + v1(t2-t1)+.5(a12)(t2-t1)^2
    ƩF=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    My biggest problem is getting a value for t2, r2 or a12. I can't seam to solve for any of them. If it had said that the force that did break the cable WAS 40 N I would be fine. But the wording makes it sound like the actual force could be any number higher then 40.

But here is what I have tried. I knew I was going to have problems)
    First I tried solving for a12 using v2 = v1 + a12(t2-t1)
    0 = 4 + a12(t2-0)
    -4 = a12(t2)
    a12 = -4/t2

Then went for r2 using r2 = r1 + v1(t2-t1) +.5(a12)(t2-t1)^2
    r2 = 0+4(t2-0) + .5(-4/t2)(t2-0)^2
    r2 = 4t2 - 2t2(t2^2)
    r2 = 4t2 -2t2
    r2 = 2t2

My next try was trying to see if pluging into ƩF = ma for both lights would help
    The bottom one
    -F B.Cable + F Gravity = ma12
    -F B.Cable +(0.8)(9.8) = 0.8a12
    -F B.Cable + 7.84 = 0.8a12
    a12 = (7.84- F B.Cable)/0.8

The top one
    -F T.Cable + F B.Cable + F Gravity = ma12
    -F T.Cable + F B.Cable + 2(9.8) = 2 ((7.84 - F B.Cable)/0.8)
    -F T.Cable + F B.Cable + 19.6 = 2.5(7.84 -F B.Cable)
    -F T.Cable + F B.Cable + 19.6 = 19.6 - 2.5 F B.Cable
    F T.Cable = 3.5 F B.Cable

So what else should I do? Should I assume that F T.Cable = 40 N and solve from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have left out a lot of information in the problem statement, including the question itself. Please re-post.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3

Dko

That is it. There is no real question given other then blanks for the values of t1, t2, r1, r2, v1, v2 and a12. I have given everything I was given to solve the problem

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like you assumed vi = 4, where did you get that number? Then you say m =2, but somewhere you used m = .8? then you say' top' and 'bottom'...2 lights? and what does
    'From this light, a separate presses the emergency stop button' mean? You left out a lot of stuff......

6. Feb 6, 2012 #5

Dko

Opps I did leave out a little. It was late when I wrote this. It should say "From this light, a separate cable suspends a second 0.80 kg light. The elevator is moving downward at 4.0 m/s (where I got v1) when someone presses the emergency stop button."

7. Feb 6, 2012 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh Ok, it looks like as you say the wording makes it sound like the actual acceleration could be any number higher than due to the 40 N limiting force in the upper cable. But it should be asking what was the minimum acceleration during the stop (that is, assume the tension in the upper rope is 40 N and calculate the acceleration accordingly, along with the other values). Your approach is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook