Solving for Speed on a Roller Coaster's Top of Hill

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 19K views
SilverAu
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A roller coaster car is going over the top of a 18-m- radius circular rise. At the top of the hill, the passengers "feel light," with an apparent weight only 60% of their true weight. How fast is the coaster moving?

Homework Equations


I think F=mv^2/ (r)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


Attempt:
F=mv^2/r
(.6)g=v^2/r
(9.8*.6)r=v^2
5.88*18=v^2
v=10.3 m/s My answer is said to be wrong
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SilverAu said:

Homework Statement


A roller coaster car is going over the top of a 18-m- radius circular rise. At the top of the hill, the passengers "feel light," with an apparent weight only 60% of their true weight. How fast is the coaster moving?

Homework Equations


I think F=mv^2/ (r)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


Attempt:
F=mv^2/r
(.6)g=v^2/r
(9.8*.6)r=v^2
5.88*18=v^2
v=10.3 m/s My answer is said to be wrong
You did not calculate what the question asks.
It's not the centripetal force which is 60% of the weight.
Draw a diagram with all the forces.
 
OK well if I am solving for the velocity of the moving coaster, how would I do that because I've drawn the diagram with forces and I don't see it.
 
Write Newton's second law for circular motion. The acceleration is the centripetal acceleration.
What is the expression for the net force at the top of the hill?
 
If they only felt 0.6 of their weight then the centripetal force on them is 1- 0,6= 0.4 of their weight.
 
Yeah I actually just figured it out, that is the only thing I messed up... Should be
F=mv^2/r
(.4)g=v^2/r
(9.8*.4)r=v^2
3.92*18=v^2
v=8.4m/s
Thanks for helping you guys