Solving for the Mass of M2 in an Equilibrium System?

  • Thread starter Thread starter izelkay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
izelkay
Messages
115
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Let's say that the system in this diagram is in equilibrium:
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/izelkays/Picture1.jpg

Since the system's in equilibrium, would that mean that T2 (the tension force connected to M2) is the same as T1 (the tension force connected to M1)?

Also, would it matter if that table M1 is on were inclined at an angle? Wouldn't the tension forces still be the same value if the system were in equilibrium?

The Attempt at a Solution


In my homework problem, (the system's in equilibrium) I've figured out what T1 is. The problem's asking me to find the mass of M2. If the tension forces are the same, wouldn't that mean I just do:

M2*g = T1 and solve for M2?

Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The system is not in equilibrium, there's no force to balance out T going to the right.
 
izelkay said:
Since the system's in equilibrium, would that mean that T2 (the tension force connected to M2) is the same as T1 (the tension force connected to M1)?
Why do you think the system is in equilibrium? There's an acceleration marked in the diagram.

As long as the rope is massless and the pulley is massless and frictionless (which are the usual assumptions), then there is a single tension throughout the rope. Which is why it's label T and not T1 and T2.

What exactly are you given and what are you asked to find?
 
Ok, sorry I wasn't clear. That diagram I posted isn't the actual homework problem. I just wanted to use a general example.

I should have googled my question to find the actual diagram:

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/blocks-connected-string-shown-figure-smooth-inclined-surface-makes-angle-42-degree-horizon-q877944

I've found the tension in the rope connected to the 6.7kg mass to be 43.98N. Would it be the same value for the rope connected to the hanging mass?

Sorry for not being clear.