Why is tension (T) only added to one side of an Atwood Machine?

In summary, the tension in the line/rope/cable is increased by a 50% reduction in the weight, but the extra force is only applied on one side.
PhysicsCanuck
Homework Statement
Suppose in the same Atwood setup another string is attached to the bottom of m1 and a constant force f is applied, retarding the upward motion of m1.

If m1 = 5.00 kg and m2 = 10.00 kg, what value of f will reduce the acceleration of the system by 50%?
Relevant Equations
T = m1*a1 + m1*g
T = m2*a2 + m2*g
4-18.gif
I solved for a1 prior to the force (f) being added.

-a1 = a2

and

T = m1*a1 + m1*g
T = m2*a2 + m2*g <--substitute -a1 = a2, multiply everything by -1, add the two equations in order to solve for a1 (and thus also a2)

T = m1*a1 + m1*g
-T = m2*a1 - m2*g

0 = m1*a1 + m1*g + m2*a1 - m2*g <-- substitute known values (m1 = 5.00kg, m2 = 10.00kg, g=9.8m/s^2), solve for a1
a1 = +3.266 m/s^2 (and thus a2 = -3.266 m/s^2)

The question then states a 50% reduction, so 3.266/2 = 1.633 m/s^2 for the following equations.
After grinding through this for hours (and knowing the final solution to be 24.5N), I was able to determine the following:

T' = m1*a1 + m1*g + F
T' = m2*a2 + m2*g

Since we know m1, m2, a1, a2, and g, we can solve for F, where F = 24.5NMy question is as follows: Since a force (and thus a tension) is being added to m1 (and thereby increasing the tension experienced in the line/rope/cable, wouldn't I also add that same force value to m2 since it is also experiencing more tension as they are connected and inextensible.

Can anyone explain this and help me better understand?

Thank you very much.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Canuck, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

PhysicsCanuck said:
My question is as follows: Since a force (and thus a tension) is being added to m1 (and thereby increasing the tension experienced in the line/rope/cable, wouldn't I also add that same force value to m2 since it is also experiencing more tension as they are connected and inextensible.
Seems so sensible, doesn't it ?
But the extra F is really applied on one side only.
Compare with a see-saw: the balance shifts if you add an extra weight on one side only. And it shifts differently if you instead add it on the other side. Same with your Atwood machine.

'Try' it out for yourself with a simple example, e.g. when m1 = m2

(i.e. a given F on m1 side versus same F on m2 side )

Likes PhysicsCanuck
The equations correspond to the force balance on the masses. The force is only acting on one mass. The change in the total force on the second mass is due to the change in the tension, which will be different in the two cases.

BvU said:
Hello Canuck, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Seems so sensible, doesn't it ?
But the extra F is really applied on one side only.
Compare with a see-saw: the balance shifts if you add an extra weight on one side only. And it shifts differently if you instead add it on the other side. Same with your Atwood machine.

'Try' it out for yourself with a simple example, e.g. when m1 = m2

(i.e. a given F on m1 side versus same F on m2 side )
Thank you very much.
This type of question is novel for me, so I guess it will become clearer with time and more practiced examples.
Cheers

1. Why is tension (T) only added to one side of an Atwood Machine?

The Atwood Machine is a simple device used to demonstrate principles of classical mechanics. It consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses. The tension (T) in the string on one side of the pulley is different from the tension on the other side. This is because the string is in contact with the pulley, and the pulley exerts a force on the string, causing a difference in tension between the two sides.

2. Is the tension (T) on both sides of the Atwood Machine equal?

No, the tension (T) on one side of the Atwood Machine is not equal to the tension on the other side. The tension is only added to one side of the machine because the string is in contact with the pulley, which exerts a force on the string and causes a difference in tension between the two sides.

3. How does adding tension (T) to one side affect the motion of the Atwood Machine?

Adding tension (T) to one side of the Atwood Machine affects the motion by causing the masses to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is due to the difference in tension between the two sides of the machine, which creates a net force on the masses.

4. Can the Atwood Machine work without adding tension (T) to one side?

No, the Atwood Machine cannot work without adding tension (T) to one side. The tension is necessary for the machine to function, as it is the force that causes the masses to accelerate towards each other. Without tension, there would be no net force on the masses and they would not move.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Atwood Machine?

Yes, the Atwood Machine has several real-world applications. It is used in elevators to help lift heavy loads, and in cranes to lift and move objects. It is also used in some types of weightlifting equipment to provide resistance against gravity. Additionally, the Atwood Machine is used in physics demonstrations and experiments to illustrate concepts such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy.