1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for time given a messy displacement equation

1. Dec 29, 2015 #1
    I'm having some trouble with this problem (adapted from K&K 1.23).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An elevator is programmed to start from rest and accelerate according to
    \begin{align*}
    a(t) &= \frac{a_m}{2}\left[1 - \cos\left(\frac{2\pi t}{T}\right)\right] &\mbox{for }0\leq t\leq T \\
    a(t) &= -\frac{a_m}{2}\left[1 - \cos\left(\frac{2\pi t}{T}\right)\right] &\mbox{for }T\leq t\leq 2T
    \end{align*} where ##a_m## is the maximum acceleration and ##2T## is the total time for the trip.
    What is the time required for a trip of distance ##D##?

2. Relevant equations
    ##v = \int adt##
    ##x = \int vdt##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume for a moment that ##0 \leq t \leq T##. Integrating then yields
    \begin{align*}
    x &= \frac{a_m}{2}\left[\frac{t^2}{2} + \left(\frac{T}{2\pi}\right)^2\cos\frac{2\pi t}{T}\right]
    \end{align*}
    Letting ##t = 0##, we find
    \begin{align*}
    x_0 &= \frac{a_m}{2}\left(\frac{T}{2\pi}\right)^2
    \end{align*}
    It follows that
    \begin{align*}
    D &= x - x_0 = \frac{a_m}{2}\left[\frac{t^2}{2} + \left(\frac{T}{2\pi}\right)^2\left(\cos\frac{2\pi t}{T} - 1\right)\right]
    \end{align*}
    But I'm not seeing a way to hammer this into a useful expression for ##t##. Perhaps there is an error in the way the problem is worded?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The time for the half trip is T. Have you tried substituting T for t in your distance equation?

4. Dec 29, 2015 #3
    I'm not sure I understand. How would doing that help me find a general expression for ##t##, given any value of ##D##?

5. Dec 29, 2015 #4
    If I've interpreted the question correctly, D is the distance for the whole trip, which takes a total time 2T, so . . . . . (gneill is pointing you in the right direction)

6. Dec 29, 2015 #5
    Ah, I thought ##D## was any point along the trip. Sorry for the confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted