Solving for x, but only getting half

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
In summary: But there are two solutions, which is what one would expect for a second degree polynomial. So this method has led us to the solutions ##0## and ##2##.In summary, when solving a quadratic equation, it is important to avoid dividing by a quantity unless it is known to be non-zero. Factoring and using the quadratic formula are both reliable methods for finding all solutions to a quadratic equation. Additionally, setting the equation equal to zero and considering two cases (x=0 and x≠0) can also help in identifying all solutions.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Solve for x. x^2 - 2x = 0

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve this equation by factoring out the x first, as in x(x-2) = 0, I get that x = 2 or x =0

However, if I add 2x, as in x^2 = 2x, then I divide by x, leaving x = 2
My second method only has one answer. What happened to x = 0?
When I solve equations like this, what should I do to guarantee that I get all of the solutions without using a graphing calculator?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:
However, if I add 2x, as in x^2 = 2x, then I divide by x, leaving x = 2
My second method only has one answer. What happened to x = 0?
You cannot divide by x if it is zero. So your method assumes that x is not zero already, and obviously then you can't get it as a solution! In solving such problems, never divide by a quantity unless (1) you are sure it is nonzero or (2) you split out a separate case for when it is zero.

Maybe ##x^2-2x = x(x-2)## will help you? There are other ways as well. Such as ##x^2=2x##. Note that for the 2nd equation 0 is a solution (##0^2 = 2*0##). Then we can proceed to find non-zero solutions.

Thanks everyone!

Shinaolord said:
Maybe ##x^2-2x = x(x-2)## will help you? There are other ways as well. Such as ##x^2=2x##.
Writing the equation as x2 = 2x is pretty much a step backward, as it isn't any help. The only two ways I can think of to solve x2 - 2x = 0 are 1) factoring, and 2) quadratic formula. (In case someone suggests completing the square, that's already done for you in the quadratic formula.)

For this equation, it is much simpler to just factor the terms on the left side.

As already mentioned, any temptation to divide through by x should be resisted, due to the possibility of losing solutions.
Shinaolord said:
Note that for the 2nd equation 0 is a solution (##0^2 = 2*0##). Then we can proceed to find non-zero solutions.

##x^2=2x## implies that either ##x=0## or ##x=2## (because if ##x\neq 0##, we can divide by ##x## to get ##x=2##).

The above doesn't prove that the solutions are 0 and 2. It just proves that no number other than 0 or 2 can be a solution. It is however easy to verify that both 0 and 2 are solutions: Since ##0^2=0=2\cdot 0##, we know that ##0## is a solution. Since ##2^2=2\cdot 2##, we know that ##2## is a solution.

This is how I think when I solve these problems. I like this method better than both factorization and the formula for solutions.

An alternative to explicitly verifying that 2 is a solution is to note that if ##x\neq 0##, the statements ##x^2-2x=0##, ##x^2=2x## and ##x=2## are all equivalent.

In case it's not perfectly clear what's going on in the first step: We already knew without looking at the equation that either ##x=0## or ##x\neq 0##. So we consider these two possibilities separately. If ##x=0##, the equation tells us nothing. (OK, it tells us that ##0=0##, but we already knew that). If ##x\neq 0##, then the equation tells us that ##x=2##. We have now ruled out all non-zero solutions other than ##2##.

Last edited:

What does it mean to solve for x?

When solving for x, you are finding the value of the variable that makes the equation true. This is often done through algebraic manipulation and simplification.

What does it mean to get "half" when solving for x?

Getting "half" when solving for x means that there are two possible solutions to the equation. This typically occurs when you have a quadratic equation and it results in two equal roots.

Why does solving for x sometimes result in only one solution?

This can occur when the equation only has one possible solution, such as when the equation is linear or when there is only one possible value for x that makes the equation true.

How can I check if my solution for x is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it results in a true statement. You can also graph the equation and see if your solution falls on the graph.

What are some common mistakes people make when solving for x?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to distribute negative signs, making arithmetic errors, or not following the correct order of operations. It is important to double check your work and be careful with your calculations.