Solving linear acceleration for time.

In summary: Hope this helps.In summary, Gemma is working on a program that solves for the displacement of an object using the standard acceleration equation. However, she is having trouble understanding how to derive the second equation, which is used to determine the time at which an object reaches a particular displacement. The second equation is derived using standard algebraic manipulations, specifically completing the square for quadratic equations. This involves matching up the coefficient of the x term with a constant and then using the quadratic formula to solve for x.
GemmaT
I'm currently developing a program which solves the displacement of an object using the standard acceleration equation [d=i*t + 0.5*a*t^2], where i=initial velocity, t=time and a=acceleration.

As the need has arisen to determine the time at which an object reaches a particular displacement (collision detection), I am currently using the equation [t = (sqrt(i^2 + 2ad) - i) / a] in order to solve for t.

The problem is, I cannot for the life of me see how the second equation is derived from the first using standard algebraic manipulations. Whilst my program operates correctly using the aforementioned equations, it would be nice if someone could explain the manipulations involved in order to procure this derivation.

Gemma.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
GemmaT said:
I'm currently developing a program which solves the displacement of an object using the standard acceleration equation [d=i*t + 0.5*a*t^2], where i=initial velocity, t=time and a=acceleration.

As the need has arisen to determine the time at which an object reaches a particular displacement (collision detection), I am currently using the equation [t = (sqrt(i^2 + 2ad) - i) / a] in order to solve for t.

The problem is, I cannot for the life of me see how the second equation is derived from the first using standard algebraic manipulations. Whilst my program operates correctly using the aforementioned equations, it would be nice if someone could explain the manipulations involved in order to procure this derivation.

Gemma.

Hey GemmaT and welcome to the forums.

For quadratic equations, the main step is to complete the square. Let's look at a standard quadratic equation:

ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Want to solve for x.

Now what we do is complete the square for the ax^2 + bx terms. Move c to the other side.

ax^2 + bx = -c.
x^2 + (b/a)x = -c/a (Divide both sides by a)

This is where we complete the square. We know that (x + d)^2 = x^2 + 2dx + d^2 using standard expansion. What we want to do is match up the 2d with (b/a) which means 2d = b/a which means d = b/2a. Doing this we get:

x^2 + (b/a)x = -c/a goes to
x^2 + (b/a)x + (b/2a)^2 = -c/a + (b/2a)^2 (Add (b/2a)^2 to both sides)
(x + (b/2a))^2 = (b/2a)^2 - (c/a) (Using result above)

(x + (b/2a)) = +-SQRT( (b/2a)^2 - (c/a)) (Taking square roots and remembering positive and negative solutions)

x = -b/2a +- SQRT((b/2a)^2 - (c/a)). Now factor out the 2a term and put it on the denominator and we get

x = (-b +- SQRT(b^2 - 4ac))/2a which is the quadratic formula.

Using the appropriate a,b,c for your problem should give you the right result.

1. How do you solve for time in a linear acceleration problem?

To solve for time in a linear acceleration problem, you will need to use the formula t = vf - vi / a, where t is time, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and a is acceleration. Simply plug in the known values and solve for t.

2. What units should be used when solving for time in a linear acceleration problem?

When solving for time in a linear acceleration problem, the units used should be consistent throughout the equation. This means that if the acceleration is given in meters per second squared (m/s^2), the initial and final velocity should also be given in meters per second (m/s). The time will then be calculated in seconds (s).

3. Can time be negative in a linear acceleration problem?

No, time cannot be negative in a linear acceleration problem. Time is a physical quantity and cannot have a negative value. If your calculated time is negative, it means that there is an error in your calculation or that the problem is not physically possible.

4. How does acceleration affect the time in a linear acceleration problem?

Acceleration and time are directly related in a linear acceleration problem. The greater the acceleration, the shorter the time it takes for an object to reach a given velocity. This means that as acceleration increases, time decreases and vice versa.

5. Can you solve for time if the acceleration is changing?

Yes, you can still solve for time if the acceleration is changing. In this case, you will need to use the average acceleration, which is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. You can then use this average acceleration in the formula t = vf - vi / a to solve for time.