Sine/Cosine behaving like a linear function

In summary, the conversation discussed the similarities and differences between the formulas for potential and spring force energy in simple harmonic motion. It was noted that the equations are the same except for the switch between sine and cosine. It was also mentioned that these functions cannot be represented by a linear function, but can be approximated in small intervals. The conversation also delved into the use of complex variables and Euler's formula to represent the trade-off between the two functions. Finally, the use of LaTeX for mathematical notation was also mentioned.
Neck
Hello all. After completing a problem in which we derived the formulas for potential and spring force energy as functions of time, with simple harmonic motion I noticed the equations are EXACTLY the same, but with sine and cosine switched. The equations were:

A sin^2(pi * t)
A cos^2(pi * t)

I apologize for this awful format, I want to learn the math script used on this website, but I forgot the name (would be appreciated also).

Anyways here is a graph of the aforementioned functions.
graph of potential energy and spring force energy.png

My question: Is there a way to represent this back and forth behavior with a linear function or any other way?

Attachments

• graph of potential energy and spring force energy.png
    graph of potential energy and spring force energy.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,843
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Both functions are not linear.

If two functions f,g are shifted by a fixed amount with respect to each other, then f(x)=g(x+c) for some constant c. Here ##\cos(x)=\sin(x+\frac \pi 2)##, for example. Sine and cosine are also periodic, so you have additional relations like ##\sin(x)=\sin(x+2n \pi) = \cos(x+2n \pi - \frac \pi 2)## for every integer n.

Likes Neck and QuantumQuest
Neck said:
the math script used on this website

LaTeX.

Likes Neck
Neck said:
I apologize for this awful format, I want to learn the math script used on this website, but I forgot the name (would be appreciated also).
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
This link will help you learn LaTeX for PF

Likes Neck
jedishrfu said:
If you use the series representation of a sin or cos function then you can see that it can never be represented by a linear function.
But you can approximate either of these functions in small intervals by straight lines.

Near x = 0, ##\sin(x) \approx x## and ##\cos(x) \approx 1##. Notice that these are the first terms of the Maclaurin series for each of these functions.

Likes Neck, QuantumQuest and lekh2003
Neck said:
My question: Is there a way to represent this back and forth behavior with a linear function or any other way?
The "back and forth" behavior is a trade-off between the two things. Combining those two into one equation is motivation for Euler's formula involving complex variables: e = cos(θ) + i ⋅ sin(θ). (There is a reason for using θ as though these are functions of angle rather than functions of t=time.) That one equation can be used to represent how the two things trade-off.
(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula )

PS. I see that the wikipedia article goes into a lot of advanced subjects that are not appropriate for this thread. The first paragraph is appropriate. This may be better: https://betterexplained.com/articles/intuitive-understanding-of-eulers-formula/

Likes Neck and QuantumQuest
The reason for your graph being what it is in the OP is that ## v=v_o \sin(\omega t) ##, so that the kinetic energy ## K.E.=(\frac{1}{2})mv^2=(\frac{1}{2})mv_o^2 \sin^2(\omega t) ##. In order for the total energy ## E ## to be constant, we must have the potential energy ## U=(\frac{1}{2})m v_o^2 \cos^2(\omega t) ##, because ## \cos^2 (\theta)+\sin^2(\theta)=1 ##. ## \\ ## It may also interest you that ## \cos^2(\omega t)=(\frac{1}{2})(\cos(2 \omega t)+1) ## , and ## \sin^2(\omega t)=(\frac{1}{2})(1-\cos(2 \omega t)) ##. This is why the two curves in the graph of the OP are essentially sinusoidal.

Last edited:
Likes Neck
gmax137 said:
LaTeX.
thank you! will learn that asap

1. What is a sine/cosine function?

A sine/cosine function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between the angle of a right triangle and the ratio of the length of its sides. It is commonly used in trigonometry and can be graphed as a wave.

2. How does sine/cosine behave like a linear function?

Sine/cosine functions behave like linear functions in that they have a constant slope and can be graphed as a straight line. This is because the ratio of the sides of a right triangle remains constant as the angle changes, resulting in a linear relationship.

3. What is the difference between a sine function and a cosine function?

The main difference between a sine function and a cosine function is that they have a phase shift of 90 degrees. This means that the graphs of these functions are shifted to the left or right by 90 degrees, resulting in different wave patterns.

4. Can sine/cosine functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, sine/cosine functions have many applications in real-world problems, such as calculating the height of a building or the distance between two points using trigonometric ratios. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. How does the period of a sine/cosine function affect its behavior?

The period of a sine/cosine function is the length of one complete cycle, or the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs. A shorter period results in a more frequent wave pattern, while a longer period results in a less frequent wave pattern. This can affect the amplitude and overall behavior of the function.