Solving Linear Equations with Fractions

In summary, the conversation discusses a similar question involving the equation 4y+7=5(5-y) and the process of getting rid of denominators by multiplying the equation by a common factor. The final answer is y=2.
ai93
If I have a similar question \(\displaystyle \frac{y}{5}+\frac{7}{20}=\frac{5-y}{4}\) should I go about the same process as the http://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/solve-following-equation-12605.html? Try and cancel out the denominators of 5, 20 and 4? Which would be 20? So times the equation by 20?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yep and that would get rid of the denominator 4y+7=5(5-y)

mathsheadache said:
If I have a similar question \(\displaystyle \frac{y}{5}+\frac{7}{20}=\frac{5-y}{4}\) should I go about the same process as the http://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/solve-following-equation-12605.html? Try and cancel out the denominators of 5, 20 and 4? Which would be 20? So times the equation by 20?

I have moved this question into its own thread. We ask that new questions not be tagged onto existing threads, rather we ask that a new thread be started for a new question. This keeps threads from becoming convoluted and hard to follow. :D

ineedhelpnow said:
yep and that would get rid of the denominator 4y+7=5(5-y)

Understood that part, so from here expand to get \(\displaystyle 4y+7=25-5y?\) Move like terms together so, \(\displaystyle 4y+5y=25-7?\) \(\displaystyle \therefore9Y=18. y=2?! \) :D

yep

mathsheadache said:
Understood that part, so from here expand to get \(\displaystyle 4y+7=25-5y?\) Move like terms together so, \(\displaystyle 4y+5y=25-7?\) \(\displaystyle \therefore9y=18\implies y=2?! \) :D

Yes, that's correct. :D

Thank you guys, I have learned so much from your help. I would still be stuck on those questions if it wasn't for your help and this forum! :D

Related to Solving Linear Equations with Fractions

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that contains only variables with a degree of 1. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you solve a linear equation for y?

To solve a linear equation for y, you need to isolate the variable y on one side of the equation. This can be achieved by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Once y is isolated, the resulting equation will be in the form y = mx + b, where m and b can be determined.

3. What is the difference between solving a linear equation and graphing a linear equation?

Solving a linear equation involves finding the value of the variable(s) in the equation, while graphing a linear equation involves plotting the equation on a coordinate plane to visualize the relationship between the variables. Solving a linear equation results in a single solution, while graphing a linear equation shows all possible solutions.

4. How do you check if a solution to a linear equation is correct?

To check if a solution to a linear equation is correct, substitute the values of the variables into the equation and simplify. If the resulting equation is true, then the solution is correct. If not, then the solution is incorrect.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving linear equations?

Linear equations are widely used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science. They are used to model and solve real-life problems involving relationships between variables, such as calculating interest rates, predicting population growth, and determining the trajectory of a projectile.