Solving McCauley's Beam Problem: Expert Tips for Success

In summary, The conversation is about a student asking for help with a physics problem. The helper points out some errors in the student's solution and provides a link to a method for solving the problem. The student also asks for clarification on the concepts of deflection and displacement.
ShaunG123
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Using McCauley's to solve a beam problem
Relevant Equations
Beam Calculations
Can you help me answer this question please?
1609296752922.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the question along with my solution below however I have been told this is wrong and an equation for the defelction and displacement is needed and answers for this along with a bending moment to support.
upload beam.png

beam calc 1.png
beam calc 2 (2).png
beam calc 3 (2).png

It seems there are some errors in resolving Mx-x:
The length 5 of the distributed load is not shown (although included in calculation).
The products of 111.75x and -50x are missing.
The correct equation may be:
##M_{x-x}=1032.5-215x##

I am really struggling to understand this to be honest is ymax my total deflection if so what would be max displacement

This is my attempt however I need to know a value/equation for displacement and deflection.
beam calc 1.png
beam calc 2 (2).png
beam calc 3 (2).png

What is McCauley's Beam Problem?

McCauley's Beam Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the deflection of a beam under a given load. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the structural integrity of beams.

Why is solving McCauley's Beam Problem important?

Solving McCauley's Beam Problem is important because it allows engineers and scientists to understand how a beam will behave under different loads. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

What are some expert tips for solving McCauley's Beam Problem?

Some expert tips for solving McCauley's Beam Problem include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using appropriate equations and formulas, and double-checking all calculations for accuracy. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and concepts involved in beam mechanics.

What are some common mistakes when solving McCauley's Beam Problem?

Some common mistakes when solving McCauley's Beam Problem include using incorrect equations or formulas, not considering all relevant forces and loads, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully review all steps and assumptions in the problem-solving process to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my skills in solving McCauley's Beam Problem?

To improve your skills in solving McCauley's Beam Problem, it is helpful to practice with a variety of different problems and to seek guidance from experienced professionals or experts. You can also improve your understanding of beam mechanics by studying relevant textbooks and resources.