Solving Momentum and Speed: 1500kg Car Moves 25 m/s

  • Thread starter Thread starter Husker70
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Husker70
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 1500kg car has the same momentum as a 2500kg truck moving at 15 m/s.
How fast is the car moving?
A. 15 m/s
B. 25 m/s
C. 35 m/s
D. 40 m/s
E. 50 m/s

Homework Equations


p = mv


The Attempt at a Solution


Truck = (2500kg)(15m/s) = 37500
Car = v=p/m = 37500/1500kg = 25m/s

This is what I answered but it says it wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Husker70 said:

Homework Statement


A 1500kg car has the same momentum as a 2500kg truck moving at 15 m/s.
How fast is the car moving?
A. 15 m/s
B. 25 m/s
C. 35 m/s
D. 40 m/s
E. 50 m/s

Homework Equations


p = mv


The Attempt at a Solution


Truck = (2500kg)(15m/s) = 37500
Car = v=p/m = 37500/1500kg = 25m/s

This is what I answered but it says it wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin

You're not wrong unless you're leaving out some information.
 
I've got everything. We took a test and get to retake it. I missed this one by putting 25 m/s. I think it's right. I emailed my instructor.
Thanks,
Kevin