Solving Nonhomogeneous Linear ODEs using Annihilators - Comments

In summary, Mark44 submitted a new PF Insights post on how to solve nonhomogeneous linear ODEs using annihilators. The post received positive feedback and requests for more math tutorials. Mark44 has another tutorial planned and hopes to create more in the future. A reader also pointed out two small typos in the post, which Mark44 promptly fixed. Overall, the post was well-received and helpful for those looking to better understand this topic.
Mark44 submitted a new PF Insights post

Solving Nonhomogeneous Linear ODEs using Annihilators

ODE2-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Great entry! Please make some more math tutorials Mark!

PWiz said:
Great entry! Please make some more math tutorials Mark!
Thank you! I have another one in mind coming soon, and probably some more after that.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and PWiz
I think I found 2 small typos in the post. In ex 1, you said
Mark44 said:
Substituting back into the original differential equation, I get

##9c_1e^{3t}+c_2e^t–4(3c_1e^{3t}+c_2e^t)+3(A+c_1e^{3t}+c_2e^t)=5

⇒(9c_1–12c_1+3c_1)e^{3t}+(c_2–4c_2+c_2)e^t+3A=5

⇒A=5/3##
I think in the 2nd last step ##(c_2–4c_2+3c_2)e^t## should be over there instead of ##(c_2–4c_2+c_2)e^t##.

In ex 4, you said
Mark44 said:
With a fourth-order equation, we expect the fundamental solution set to consist of four linearly independent solutions: {##e^{−t},te−t,cos(2t),sin(2t)## }.
The 2nd solution should be ##te^{-t}## right?

PWiz said:
I think I found 2 small typos in the post. In ex 1, you said

I think in the 2nd last step ##(c_2–4c_2+3c_2)e^t## should be over there instead of ##(c_2–4c_2+c_2)e^t##.

In ex 4, you said

The 2nd solution should be ##te^{-t}## right?
Thanks for spotting these -- I have fixed both of them.
Even though I looked through this stuff before publishing it, it's still hard to catch everythin, especially when you're working with LaTeX .

What is an annihilator?

An annihilator is a mathematical operator that is used to simplify the process of solving nonhomogeneous linear ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It essentially "annihilates" or reduces the order of the differential equation, making it easier to solve.

Why do we need to use annihilators?

Annihilators are useful because they allow us to solve nonhomogeneous linear ODEs without having to use the more complex method of variation of parameters. They also help to reduce the number of trial-and-error solutions that may be required when using other methods.

How do I identify which annihilator to use?

The choice of annihilator depends on the form of the nonhomogeneous term in the ODE. Generally, the annihilator should be chosen to have the same form as the nonhomogeneous term, but with a lower order. This can be determined by inspecting the term and finding any patterns or common factors.

Can annihilators be used for any type of nonhomogeneous linear ODE?

No, annihilators are only applicable for nonhomogeneous linear ODEs. They cannot be used for non-linear ODEs or for non-linear terms within a linear ODE. They are also not useful for solving systems of ODEs.

Are there any limitations to using annihilators?

While annihilators can greatly simplify the process of solving nonhomogeneous linear ODEs, they are not always the most efficient method. In some cases, variation of parameters or other methods may be faster or easier to use. Additionally, annihilators may not always yield a solution, so other methods may need to be used in those cases.