Solving Part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator w/ Deceleration of 1.4 m/s2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
shell4987
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A lamp hangs vertically from a cord in a descending elevator that decelerates at 1.4 m/s2. (a) If the tension in the cord is 56 N, what is the lamp's mass? (b) What is the cord's tension when the elevator ascends with an upward acceleration of 1.4 m/s2?


Homework Equations


T-mg=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I got part (b) to be 56 N and that was correct but then I used the formula... but I don't know how to solve for mass for part (a) when there are two masses in the equation above, I know T to be 56N and g to be 9.8m/s squared also a to be 1.4m/s squared... Can anyone help me out? I'm confused.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just rearrange your initial equation:
T-mg=ma

Thus:
T = mg + ma = m(g +a)

You take it from here.