Solving Probematic Statics: Determining Force in CD

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem related to a free body diagram, but is having difficulty.
TSN79
I'm trying to solve the problems on this page:

http://physics.uwstout.edu/StatStr/statics/StatII/statp21f.htm

The second last one is a bit hard for me, but I think I've got it. Just need to get my approach confirmed as correct. I first found the external support reactions, that went fine.

Then, to determine the force in CD, I first drew an FBD (free body diagram) of member ABC placing two uknown forces at point B (Bx and By) and the one given force at C (should I have placed two unknown forces here also, Cx and Cy ?). Solving this I found the values for Bx and By.

I now drew a new FBD for member BD, placing two new unknown forces (Dx and Dy) in point D along with the given force in the middle, the known force E, and Bx and By (which I found earlier) in point B. Solving for Dx I got the correct answer of 9000 lb, but is my approach valid, or was this just coincidence?

Any help will be appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which problem is this? the third?

No, fourth.

Then, to determine the force in CD, I first drew an FBD (free body diagram) of member ABC placing two uknown forces at point B (Bx and By) and the one given force at C (should I have placed two unknown forces here also, Cx and Cy ?). Solving this I found the values for Bx and By.

Yes, member ABC ha Cx and Cy on its FBD.

I now drew a new FBD for member BD, placing two new unknown forces (Dx and Dy) in point D along with the given force in the middle, the known force E, and Bx and By (which I found earlier) in point B. Solving for Dx I got the correct answer of 9000 lb, but is my approach valid, or was this just coincidence?

So you took member BD, and put the forces at B (Bx and By), the forces at D (Dx and Dy, 4000 and the E force)??, plus the 5000 force in the middle??

You're doing too much work. You can solve for CD by just balancing the free body of member ABC now that you have the reactions at A. CD is a 2 force force member so it only has axial force (in its X direction), but you still have to apply the 10,000lb load to joint C in the Y direction when balancing the free body of ABC. Correctly sum moments on the free body of ABC and the force in CD can be found.

1. What is statics and why is it important in solving problems?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is important in solving problems because it helps to understand forces and their effects on objects, which is crucial in designing and analyzing structures and machines.

2. How do you determine force in a problem involving CDs?

To determine force in a CD, you first need to identify the forces acting on the object, such as weight, tension, and friction. Then, you can use the principles of equilibrium and vector analysis to calculate the net force acting on the CD.

3. What are some common challenges in solving problematic statics involving CDs?

Some common challenges in solving problematic statics involving CDs include determining the correct direction and magnitude of forces, considering the effects of static friction, and accounting for the weight of the CD itself.

4. What are some strategies for approaching a statics problem involving CDs?

Some strategies for approaching a statics problem involving CDs include drawing a free body diagram, breaking down forces into their components, and using equations of equilibrium to solve for unknown forces.

5. How can solving problematic statics involving CDs be applied in real-world scenarios?

Solving problematic statics involving CDs can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as designing and analyzing structures such as bridges and buildings, optimizing machine performance, and understanding the stability of objects in different situations.