Trouble with Static Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ##F_{ua}## and its role in a static equilibrium problem involving a forearm and upper arm bone. The participants also discuss the use of the torque equation and the possibility of setting the net torque to be zero about any point on the object. The conversation ends with a question about how to know about ##F_{ua}## and a mention of latex bugs on the forum. The expert provides a summary of the conversation and shares links for further reading on the topic.
rtareen
Homework Statement
You hold a 6.0-kg weight in your hand with your forearm making a 90° angle with your
upper arm, as shown in Figure 12-4. Your biceps muscle exerts an upward force Fm that acts 3.4 cm from the pivot point O at the elbow joint. Model the forearm and hand as a 30.0-cm- long uniform rod with a mass of 1.0 kg. (a) Find the magnitude of Fm if the distance from the weight to the pivot point (elbow joint) is 30 cm, and (b) find the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the elbow joint by the upper arm
Relevant Equations
## \Sigma \Vec{\Tau }= 0##
##\Signma \Vec{\F} = 0 ##
IMG_4987.jpg

My initial response to seeing the figure is what is ##F_{ua}## and where does it come from? How was i supposed to know it was there is they didn't give a picture?

So for part a, ##F_{ua}## doesn't play a role because it exerts no torque, and apparently we are supposed to use the torque equation to find ##F_m##. Thats probably the only way to do this problem is to use the torque equation first, because if we used the force equations, we'd have two equations and three unknowns, I think. We would have to solve for the y component of ##F_m## and also both components of ##F_{ua}##. But if there is another way to solve this problem please let me know.

So we can set ##\Sigma \Tau = 0 ## to find ##F_m## and we find that it is 560N. Then we can set the x and y components of force equal to zero and we find out that the x component of ##F_{ua}## is 0. That must mean that ##F_{ua}## is vertical only. And we find out that its 490 N downwards.

My main question is how was i supposed to know about ##F_{ua}##.

Also there is this concept where you can set the net torque to be zero about any point on the object of interest, not just at O. Can someone explain how we could do that? These static equilibrium problems are hard.

Also in the preview my latex code isn't being converted. Can someone tell me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
rtareen said:
My initial response to seeing the figure is what is ##F_{ua}## and where does it come from? How was i supposed to know it was there is they didn't give a picture?
I think that is the force exerted on the radius and/or ulna (forearm bones) by the humerus (upper arm bone). The end of the humerus provides the pivot point around which the forearm rotates, so it has to press down as the forearm rotates up.
That must mean that ##F_{ua}## is vertical only. And we find out that its 490 N downwards.
That sounds reasonable. In practice I'd guess it points down and a bit to the right, to counteract the sideways component from the bicep which will be pulling the forearm up and a bit to the left.

I have been encountering a few latex bugs on the forum recently too. However the red bold text in your above latex is because of misspelling and using upper case letters where all lower case is required. Latex is case-sensitive.

Likes rtareen
rtareen said:
... My initial response to seeing the figure is what is ##F_{ua}## and where does it come from? How was i supposed to know it was there is they didn't give a picture?
My main question is how was i supposed to know about ##F_{ua}##.
Without that reactive force, all the other forces that were evident to you would create a clockwise rotation of the forearm.
The mechanism must be in static equilibrium, which means that all the forces and torques should be cancelling each other.
Having the reactive force in place, the net moment will be zero, regardless of where along the forearm you decide to locate its fulcrum.

Please, see:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/equilibrium-d_943.html

http://www.engineeringcorecourses.c...ium/C2.1-freebodydiagram-and-supports/theory/

:cool:

Likes rtareen
Lnewqban said:
Without that reactive force, all the other forces that were evident to you would create a clockwise rotation of the forearm.
The mechanism must be in static equilibrium, which means that all the forces and torques should be cancelling each other.
Having the reactive force in place, the net moment will be zero, regardless of where along the forearm you decide to locate its fulcrum.

Please, see:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/equilibrium-d_943.html

http://www.engineeringcorecourses.c...ium/C2.1-freebodydiagram-and-supports/theory/

Wow thanks for the helpful links!

rtareen said:
Wow thanks for the helpful links!
You are welcome :smile:

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and its center of mass is not accelerating. This means that all forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no net force or torque acting on the object.

2. What factors can affect static equilibrium?

There are several factors that can affect static equilibrium, including the mass of the object, the distribution of its mass, and the forces acting on the object. Additionally, the surface on which the object is placed and any external forces or torques can also impact static equilibrium.

3. How do you calculate the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass of an object can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual mass elements that make up the object. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each element by its distance from a chosen reference point, then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the object.

4. Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be in static equilibrium if it is moving. Static equilibrium specifically refers to a state of rest, so if an object is moving, it is not in static equilibrium. However, it is possible for an object to be in both static and dynamic equilibrium if it is moving at a constant velocity with no change in its motion.

5. How can you determine if an object is in static equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in static equilibrium, you can analyze the forces acting on the object and calculate the net force and torque. If the net force and torque are both equal to zero, then the object is in static equilibrium. Additionally, you can visually observe the object to see if it is at rest and not moving or rotating.