Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving radial wavefunction in odd central potential

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    Hey guys,

I have a question regarding solving a radial wavefunction DE which i have written up in Mathematica and saved as a pdf http://members.iinet.net.au/~housewrk/PFpost.pdf" [Broken] as I was already doing the work in MM and writing it all up again in LaTeX seemed a bit of a waste of time.

If anything is not clear or wrong or whatever please let me know and i will respond as best i can =D

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

The math in that document is completely unreadable ... but regardless, can't you use the usual trick of multiplying the radial wavefunction by r (or some other simple function) to wipe out the pole at r=0? What is the form of your central potential? Knowing that might help to analyze the asymptotic limit you are after.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Yeah sorry, i should have been more mindful of the margins. Like i said, i've tried several function substitutions including that usual trick; i still end up with an r dependence in the denominator for the coefficient of R(r). The form of the central potential is unknown, if i knew that i could probably do some usual wave scattering things. This radial equation was derived from solving the Klein Gordon equation in the interior Schwarzschild metric, so it is 'like' a central gravitational potential, but not in a Newtonian sense.

I have updated that pdf in an attempt to make it more readible, but lets be fair, that equation is a peice of **** to read anyway you write it :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook