Solving Rotational Motion Homework: Mass m, Length r, Centripetal Force Fc

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dixonewman
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A rock of mass m=2kg is tied to a string of length r=4m is rotating at a constant rate and subject to a centripetal force Fc=32N.

Find the:
a)Centripetal acceleration

b)Angular velocity

c)Angular momentum


Homework Equations



a) Ac=V2T/R (Fc=V2T/R; so, V2T=Fc x R/m?)

b) VT=angular velocity x radius

c) l = mvTr

The Attempt at a Solution



a) 32 x 4/2 = 64[m2/s]

b) V2T = 64, so VT = 8; 8/4 = 2 [rad/s]

c) 2 x 8 x 4= 64[kg x m2/s]

I know this is simple stuff, but I'm new to physics, and just wanted to double-check that I'm getting my formulas right. Thanks everyone!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dixonewman said:
a) 32 x 4/2 = 64[m2/s]
Use Newton's 2nd law here.
[tex]F_{centripetal}=ma_{centripetal}[/tex]

dixonewman said:
b) V2T = 64, so VT = 8; 8/4 = 2 [rad/s]


This is correct. You could have also used [itex]F=m \omega^2r[/itex] if you wanted.

dixonewman said:
c) 2 x 8 x 4= 64[kg x m2/s]
[/QUOTE]

This looks good as well.

I know this is simple stuff, but I'm new to physics, and just wanted to double-check that I'm getting my formulas right. Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]
 
Wait, it looks like I may have jumbled up my formulas...

If V2T=Fc x R/m (is this formula correct?), if so, then V2T = 64;

Ac=V2T/R so 64/4 = 16 [m/s2]

Am I still missing the mark?
 
Last edited:
dixonewman said:
Wait, it looks like I may have jumbled up my formulas...

If V2T=Fc x R/m (is this formula correct?), if so, then V2T = 64;

Ac=V2T/R so 64/4 = 16 [m/s2]

Am I still missing the mark?


16ms-2 should be correct