Solving Sequence Problem with Elementary Math Concepts

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the sequence of fractions and finding the position of the fifth occurrence of a fraction equivalent to $\dfrac{3}{7}$. The problem was solved by using a formula from a textbook by G.H. Hardy and involves knowledge of triangular numbers. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of simplifying the problem for a 9 year old.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

My nephew, age 9, was asked the following question and he hoped I could solve the problem and then explain the solution to him using only elementary math concepts. My boyfriend has solved it, but he used a formula that he recalled seeing in a textbook by G.H. Hardy, and that involved knowledge of triangular numbers.

So, I don't know how to attack this problem from a 9 year old's perspective. If you happen to know how to simplify the problem, could you please enlighten me? Many thanks in advance.

Problem:
In the sequence of fractions $\dfrac{1}{1},\,\dfrac{2}{1},\,\dfrac{1}{2},\, \dfrac{3}{1},\,\dfrac{2}{2},\,\dfrac{1}{3},\, \dfrac{4}{1},\,\dfrac{3}{2},\,\dfrac{2}{3},\, \dfrac{1}{4},\, \dfrac{5}{1},\, \dfrac{4}{2},\, \dfrac{3}{3},\, \dfrac{2}{4},\,\dfrac{1}{5}\cdots$, fractions equivalent to any given fraction occur many times. For example, fractions equivalent to $\dfrac{1}{2}$ occur for the first two times in positions 3 and 14. In what position is the fifth occurrence of a fraction equivalent to $\dfrac{3}{7}$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hi MHB,

My nephew, age 9, was asked the following question and he hoped I could solve the problem and then explain the solution to him using only elementary math concepts. My boyfriend has solved it, but he used a formula that he recalled seeing in a textbook by G.H. Hardy, and that involved knowledge of triangular numbers.

So, I don't know how to attack this problem from a 9 year old's perspective. If you happen to know how to simplify the problem, could you please enlighten me? Many thanks in advance.

Problem:
In the sequence of fractions $\dfrac{1}{1},\,\dfrac{2}{1},\,\dfrac{1}{2},\, \dfrac{3}{1},\,\dfrac{2}{2},\,\dfrac{1}{3},\, \dfrac{4}{1},\,\dfrac{3}{2},\,\dfrac{2}{3},\, \dfrac{1}{4},\, \dfrac{5}{1},\, \dfrac{4}{2},\, \dfrac{3}{3},\, \dfrac{2}{4},\,\dfrac{1}{5}\cdots$, fractions equivalent to any given fraction occur many times. For example, fractions equivalent to $\dfrac{1}{2}$ occur for the first two times in positions 3 and 14. In what position is the fifth occurrence of a fraction equivalent to $\dfrac{3}{7}$?

Hello.(Whew)(Whew)

[tex]Let \ \dfrac{A_n}{B_m}[/tex]

[tex]Let \ n=order \ number \ suscession \ numerator[/tex]

[tex]Let \ x=number \ numerator[/tex]

And:

[tex]Let \ m=order \ number \ suscession \ denominator[/tex]

[tex]Let \ y=number \ denominator[/tex]

Then:

[tex]x \ number \ position=\dfrac{n^2+(2x-1)n+x^2-3x+2}{2}[/tex]. (1)

[tex]y \ number \ position=\dfrac{m^2+(2y-3)m+y^2-y+2}{2}[/tex]. (2)

Making: [tex]x=m \ and \ y=n \rightarrow{}x \ number \ position=y \ number \ position[/tex]

Example:

[tex]\dfrac{3}{7}=\dfrac{15}{35}[/tex]

therefore:

[tex]x=15 \ and \ y=35[/tex]

For (1): [tex]x \ number \ position=\dfrac{35^2+(2*15-1)35+15^2-3*15+2}{2}=1211[/tex]

Same:

For (2): [tex]y \ number \ position=\dfrac{15^2+(2*35-3)15+35^2-35+2}{2}=1211[/tex]

I had done a 'programme', showing how works this topic, but I have not been able to attach the file of Excel.(Headbang)Regards.

anemone said:
Hi MHB,

Problem:

Let's suppose to call $a_{n}$ the sequence at numerator and $b_{n}$ the sequence at denominator. It will be $a_{n}=3$ for $n = 4\ m + \frac {(m-1)\ (m-2)}{2}, m=1,2,...$ and $b_{n}=7$ for $k = 7\ (k+3) + \frac{(k-1)\ (k-2)}{2}, k=1,2,...$. By systematic search You find that is $a_{n}=3,\ b_{n} = 7$ for $k=3,\ m=7, n=43 $ and no other values of n. The succcesive search is dedicated to find the value of n for which is $a_{n}=6,\ b_{n}= 14$ and then the value of n for which $a_{n}=9,\ b_{n} = 21$ and so on, so that the solution of the problem is the value of n for which $a_{n}=15,\ b_{n}=35$. That is a little hard task for an old wolf like me but I'm sure that You will find the number n with no difficulties (Wink)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

anemone said:
Hi MHB,

Problem:
I think this is a hard problem for a nine-year-old. The first step is to see that the fifth occurrence of a fraction equivalent to $\dfrac{3}{7}$ is the fraction$\dfrac{3\times5}{7\times5} = \dfrac{15}{35}.$

The given sequence consists of blocks of terms in which the sum of the numerator and denominator is constant. The series starts with a single term for which that sum is $2$. Then there is a block of two terms where the sum is $3$, a block of three terms where the sum is $4$, and so on. Within each block, the terms are ordered by their denominator. The first term in the block has denominator $1$, then $2$, and so on.

For the fraction $\dfrac{15}{35}$, the sum of the numerator and denominator is $15+35 = 50$, so it lies in the $49$th block. It will be the $35$th term in that block, so it will be $35$ places beyond the end of the $48$th block.

At this stage, I think that you are inevitably going to get drawn into the realm of triangular numbers. Somehow or other, you have to convince yourself that the $48$th block ends at the term whose position in the sequence is $\frac12\times 48\times 49 = 1176.$ It then follows that the fraction $\dfrac{15}{35}$ occurs at place $1176 + 35 = 1211.$

The average nine-year-old would probably find that argument too difficult to follow. But I am sure that a relative of anemone would relish it. (Wink)

Edit. To convince someone inexperienced in algebra to believe the formula $\frac12n(n+1)$ for the $n$th triangular number, I would draw an $n\times(n+1)$ array like this:
Code:
 + - - - - -
 + + - - - -
 + + + - - -
 + + + + - -
 + + + + + -
You can see from this that half of the $n(n+1)$ elements are $+$s, and also that the number of $+$s is $1+2+3+\ldots + n$.

Last edited:
Hi mente oscura and chisigma,

Thanks for your replies and I understand what both of you are saying, but for this problem, I have to solve it using the simplest way possible since it is a problem for my nephew, not me...if it were up to me to solve it, then I would attack it as I would attack a ferocious tiger in the forest, hehehe...:)

Hi Opalg,

Thank you so so much for the easy to follow explanation! I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. I will also tell my nephew who Opalg is and also let him know you are someone I hold in the highest esteem. (Sun)

You can be sure that I am your number one "fan" on earth! (heart)

1. What are some common elementary math concepts used to solve sequence problems?

Some common elementary math concepts used to solve sequence problems include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and patterns.

2. How can I determine the next number in a sequence using elementary math?

To determine the next number in a sequence using elementary math, you can look for patterns such as adding or subtracting a constant number, multiplying or dividing by a constant number, or following a specific pattern such as odd or even numbers.

3. Can I use mental math to solve sequence problems?

Yes, you can use mental math to solve sequence problems by applying basic math concepts and looking for patterns in the given sequence.

4. Are there any strategies or tips for solving sequence problems with elementary math?

Some strategies for solving sequence problems with elementary math include looking for patterns, working backwards from the given numbers, and using trial and error to test possible solutions.

5. How can I apply elementary math concepts to solve more complex sequence problems?

To solve more complex sequence problems, you can combine multiple elementary math concepts and use them in different ways, such as using addition and multiplication together or using patterns within patterns.