Solving Simultaneous Equations: 4x + 5y =12 and -8x + 4y =32

In summary, the equation x=2 was solved incorrectly when the coefficients were multiplied by 2 and added to the equation x=4.666.
paulb203
Homework Statement
Solve the following simultaneous equation;
Relevant Equations
4x + 5y =12
-8x + 4y =32
I multiplied the top one by 4, and the bottom one by 5 to make the y coefficients the same and got;

16x + 20y = 48
-40x + 20y = 160

Then I subtracted the bottom one from the top one and got;

-24 x = -112

Which gave x = 4.666...

But the answer for x was -2

I realise now that if I had subtracted the the top one from the bottom I would have got;

-56x = 112, which would give the correct answer for x (x = -2)

But I'm left thinking that the other way should have worked yet I ended up with 4.666... for x
Where did I go wrong when I did it the first way?

Physics news on Phys.org
matthewphilip said:
Homework Statement:: Solve the following simultaneous equation;
Relevant Equations:: 4x + 5y =12
-8x + 4y =32

I multiplied the top one by 4, and the bottom one by 5 to make the y coefficients the same and got;

16x + 20y = 48
-40x + 20y = 160

-24 x = -112
This is wrong. Subtracting the bottom from the top goes:
$$
(16x+20y-(-40x+20y))=16x+20y+40x-20y=56x=48-160=-112\text{ and }x=-2
$$
matthewphilip said:
Which gave x = 4.666...

I realise now that if I had subtracted the the top one from the bottom I would have got;

But I'm left thinking that the other way should have worked yet I ended up with 4.666... for x
A general hint: Write out as much as you can. Writing is faster than thinking and mistakes are easier to trace. Here are the rest of my hints:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/10-math-tips-save-time-avoid-mistakes/

Likes berkeman, topsquark and paulb203
Ah! Thank you. When I should have done 16x - (-40x) I incorrectly did 16x - 40x, yeah?

And thanks for the tips too. Bookmarked for later.

matthewphilip said:
Homework Statement:: Solve the following simultaneous equation;
Relevant Equations:: 4x + 5y =12
-8x + 4y =32

16x + 20y = 48
-40x + 20y = 160

-24 x = -112

Which gave x = 4.666...

You could have too, multiplied the top equation by 2 and add it to the one in the bottom:
8x+10y=24
-8x+4y=32.

Likes SammyS
... or you could have written the coefficients as ##\begin{bmatrix}4&5\\-8&4\end{bmatrix}## then swap ##4## and ##4##, set a minus sign in front of the non-diagonal elements and get ##\begin{bmatrix}4&-5\\8&4\end{bmatrix}##, calculate ##4\cdot 4 - (-8)\cdot 5=56## and compute
$$
\begin{bmatrix}x\\y\end{bmatrix}=\dfrac{1}{56} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}4&-5\\8&4\end{bmatrix}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}12\\32\end{bmatrix}=\dfrac{1}{56}\begin{bmatrix}4\cdot 12-5\cdot 32\\8\cdot 12+4\cdot 32\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}-112\\ 224\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}-2\\4\end{bmatrix}
$$

Looks a bit complicated and unnecessarily long, but has the big advantage that it always works, as long as there is a unique solution.

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that are solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy both equations.

How do I solve simultaneous equations?

To solve simultaneous equations, you can use the substitution or elimination method. In the substitution method, you solve for one variable in one equation and substitute it into the other equation. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other.

What is the solution to the given simultaneous equations?

The solution to the given simultaneous equations is x = 2 and y = 0. This means that when x = 2 and y = 0, both equations are satisfied.

Why are there two variables in simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations have two variables because they represent two unknown quantities that need to be solved for. By solving for both variables, we can find the values that satisfy both equations.

Can I use the same method to solve all simultaneous equations?

No, different sets of simultaneous equations may require different methods to solve them. It is important to understand both the substitution and elimination methods and determine which one is most suitable for the given equations.