Solving Tension in a Chain of 5 Links

  • Thread starter Thread starter seeingstars63
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chain Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
seeingstars63
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A chain consisting of five links, each of mass 0.10 kg, is lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of 2.5m/s^2.
a.) Find the forces acting between adjacent links.
b.) Find the force F exerted in the top link.



Homework Equations


F=ma
W=mg


The Attempt at a Solution


I am just having trouble knowing where to start with this problem. I'm guessing that the top link should be determined last since it is in part b. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there is an acceleration, there will be a resultant force.

At the fifth link,
The resultant force = force exerted by fourth link on fifth link - weight of fifth link.

I think you should be able to do now.