1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving the differential equation m^2 = 0?

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    I have a problem that starts with the equation:

[itex]r\frac{d^2u}{dr^2} + \frac{du}{dr} = 0 [/itex]

The solution I'm looking at says to do a substitution, letting [itex]u = r^m[/itex], which after differentiation and simplification results in:

[itex]m^2 = 0 [/itex]

Up until this point, I understand (well, actually I don't understand how to know to do this substitution, but I understand how the differentiation and simplification happened), but then the next step says that because [itex]m^2 = 0[/itex]:

[itex]u(r) = c_1 + c_2 lnr [/itex]

Question 1: How do you know to choose [itex]u = r^m[/itex] as the substitution?

Question 2: Why was that form of a solution chosen?

Question 3: Is there a name for this type of substitution and solution?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, that wouldn't have my first suggestion. I would have said let ##y = u'## making the equation ##ry' + y = 0## and notice that ##ry'+y=(ry)' = 0## so ##ry = C## and ##y = u' = \frac C r##. Hence ##u = C\ln r + D##.

If you multiply the original equation by ##r## so it looks like ##r^2u'' + ru' = 0## it becomes an Euler equation for which a standard method would be to try ##r^m##, if you have studied those.

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(1) The approach is to guess some sort of solution to the DE. It's not actually a substitution.
    A good guess to try is one that makes every term in the DE contain the same function.

This particular guess is suggested by ##\sum_n r^{n-1}\frac{d^n u}{dr^n}=0## and works because ##r^{n-1}r^{m-n}=r^{m-1}## ... i.e. the same function for every term in the DE.
    Basically - when you see a DE in that pattern, it is likely that u is a polynomial (but may not be).

[ref Euler equation]

(2) $$r\frac{d^2 u}{dr^2}+\frac{du}{dr}=0\\
    u(r)=r^{m}\implies [m(m-1)+m]=0\\

\therefore m^2 = 0$$... which tells you that u=1 (or any constant) is a solution ... if somewhat trivial.

So the guess is unhelpful.

Try to think of something else. i.e. notice that the LHS in the DE is a product-rule expansion:
    $$r\frac{d^2 u}{dr^2}+\frac{du}{dr}=\frac{d}{dr}\left( r\frac{du}{dr}\right)\\
    \frac{d}{dr}\left( r\frac{du}{dr}\right)=0\implies\cdots$$

(3) it's called "trial and error" ;)

IIRC: In the case where a guess of the form u=rm for the above form of DE fails, the solution must therefore be of form u=a+b.ln|r|.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Nov 26, 2013 #4
    Thanks for your reply LCKurtz!

In your solution, [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex] are not constants, like they are in [itex]u(r) = c_1 + c_2 lnr[/itex], correct?

We haven't studied Euler equations as far as I can remember, which is probably why I'm so confused! Is [itex]u(r) = c_1 + c_2 lnr[/itex] a standard solution for a Euler equation?

I'm really confused how to jump from a characteristic equation of [itex]m^2 = 0[/itex] to [itex]u(r) = c_1 + c_2 lnr[/itex]...

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

C and D are constants just like yours - it's common to use caps for the arbitrary constants in DE solutions.
    The jump is because it is always the case when m=0 so you just remember it like you jump from seeing six rows of seven objects to knowing you have 42 objects.

note: LaTeX can format many functions better if you put a backslash in front of the function abbreviation ... i.e. \ln|r| gets you ##\ln|r|##. Also works for log, exp, sin, arcsin, etc.

7. Nov 26, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##C## and ##D## are constants.

For constant coefficient DE's you may recall that when the characteristic equation has a double root ##r = \{c,c\}## you have solutions of ##e^{cx}## and ##xe^{cx}##. When you study Euler equations you will learn that when you have a double root of ##r = \{c,c\}## when you try ##x^r##, you get solutions ##x^c## and ##x^c\ln x##. Your text will probably show you why when you get to that section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted