Solving the Hydrogen Molecule computationally

In summary, this person is looking for a good reference for solving the Hydrogen Molecule for a school project. They suggest looking at a book called "Molecular Quantum Mechanics", by Atkins and Friedman, which is a fourth edition. They also suggest avoiding more complicated methods in favor of a simpler approach.
dipole
Hi, I'm interested in solving the Hydrogen Molecule for a school project (computational physics course) WITH electron interactions included. I'm thinking of calculating the bond length using some kind of variational method, but I'd also like to calculate the energy levels of the two-electron wave function and compare to experiment.

What I need are some good references to get me started. I need an approach which isn't overly sophisticated so the code can be written from scratch over the course of a few weeks (i.e. please don't suggest using a DFT approach or something very complicated like that...). I'm open to Monte Carlo or some kind of relaxation method or other! I've tried searching in the American Journal of Physics, but I didn't find much there so I'm hoping maybe some people here can post some info and some references to point me in the right direction.

Again, this isn't really so much about understanding the physics as it is understanding how to actually do the numerical computation since this is a three-body problem (well four technically, but I plan on treating the protons as being fixed) and analytical methods are out of the question.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
dipole said:
Hi, I'm interested in solving the Hydrogen Molecule for a school project (computational physics course) WITH electron interactions included. I'm thinking of calculating the bond length using some kind of variational method, but I'd also like to calculate the energy levels of the two-electron wave function and compare to experiment.

What I need are some good references to get me started. I need an approach which isn't overly sophisticated so the code can be written from scratch over the course of a few weeks
Nice, ambitious project!

As a good starting point, I suggest you look at Atkins and Friedman, Molecular Quantum Mechanics, 5th ed. (OUP, 2011). Fourth edition will also do, not sure about the ealier ones. Chapter 9 pretty much spells out the recipe (see especially Fig. 9.1).

Usually, the main difficulty is making the equations converge. But for a two-electron system, you basically end up having to solve only a quadratic equation, so it should be doable without having to learn about optimization methods.

Good luck!

DrClaude said:
Nice, ambitious project!

As a good starting point, I suggest you look at Atkins and Friedman, Molecular Quantum Mechanics, 5th ed. (OUP, 2011). Fourth edition will also do, not sure about the ealier ones. Chapter 9 pretty much spells out the recipe (see especially Fig. 9.1).

Usually, the main difficulty is making the equations converge. But for a two-electron system, you basically end up having to solve only a quadratic equation, so it should be doable without having to learn about optimization methods.

Good luck!

Great, thanks for the tip!

If anyone else out there has additional resources I'd love to hear them!

1. What is the purpose of solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally?

The purpose of solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally is to understand the behavior and properties of this fundamental molecule at a molecular level. This can help in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science, and can also aid in the development of new technologies.

2. How is the Hydrogen molecule solved computationally?

The Hydrogen molecule is solved computationally using quantum mechanical methods, such as the Hartree-Fock method or density functional theory. These methods involve solving complex mathematical equations to determine the electronic structure and energy of the molecule.

3. Why is solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally important?

Solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally is important because it allows for a more detailed and accurate understanding of the molecule's properties, which cannot be achieved through experimental methods alone. It also provides a cost-effective and efficient way to study the molecule's behavior under different conditions.

4. What are some challenges in solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally?

One of the main challenges in solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. These equations can be difficult to solve, requiring specialized software and computing power. Additionally, accurately representing the electron-electron interactions in the molecule can also be a challenge.

5. What are the potential applications of solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally?

The potential applications of solving the Hydrogen molecule computationally are vast. It can be used to understand and predict the behavior of other molecules, aid in the design of new materials and drugs, and contribute to the development of clean and renewable energy sources, such as hydrogen fuel cells.