Solving the Identity of M in Compound MF6 - 32.38% F by Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Altami
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Altami
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A compound MF6 (the 6 being a subscript) contains 32.38% F by mass what is identity of M?


Homework Equations


What is identity of M?

The Attempt at a Solution



I really have no idea how to start...sorry. If someone can give me tips, on how to do it, that way I can learn. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Altami said:

Homework Statement


A compound MF6 (the 6 being a subscript) contains 32.38% F by mass what is identity of M?


Homework Equations


What is identity of M?

The Attempt at a Solution



I really have no idea how to start...sorry. If someone can give me tips, on how to do it, that way I can learn. Thanks!

What have you learned in Chem so far?

Do you know what M, F and MF6 are?

Here's a push in the right direction.

I have one large fruit of unknown type and unknown mass, and six apples in my (massless) fruit basket.
I know how much the apples mass individually, and I've been told that, together, they comprise 32.38% of the mass of my entire fruit basket.
The remaining % of the fruit basket is going to be the mass of the mystery fruit.
 
Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
What have you learned in Chem so far?

Do you know what M, F and MF6 are?

Here's a push in the right direction.

I have one large fruit of unknown type and unknown mass, and six apples in my (massless) fruit basket.
I know how much the apples mass individually, and I've been told that, together, they comprise 32.38% of the mass of my entire fruit basket.
The remaining % of the fruit basket is going to be the mass of the mystery fruit.

Wait I got 238.04 which would be Uranium right M=Uranium. If you can just verify this.
 
Last edited:
Altami said:
Wait I got 238.04 which would be Uranium right M=Uranium. If you can just verify this.

Show your work.