Solving the Logarithmic Integral of Ln(y-1)/y^2 by Hand

  • Thread starter Thread starter wilysrevenge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Logarithm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
wilysrevenge
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have been working on a solid state physics homework problem, and I have gotten the answer down to an integral that I am unsure how to do by hand. I can plug it into Mathematica, and I receive the correct answer (I am asked to show something) but I would like to know how to do this integral by hand.

Integral of Ln(y-1) / y^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's an easy integration by parts. Let u=ln(y-1) and v=(-1/y). Your integral is u*dv. Is that enough of a hint? If not then for the second integral v*du use partial fractions.
 
Ahh... I tried the integration by parts approach, but wasn't sure where to go from there. I hadn't done partial fractions in a long while and did not notice I could separate it that easily. Thank you.