Solving the Mystery: A Helicopter's Dropped Package

• Thread starter intenzxboi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, a passenger in a helicopter traveling upwards at 17m/s accidentally drops a package out the window. It takes 13 seconds to reach the ground. The helicopter was approximately 607 meters high when the package was dropped. The maximum height of the package above the ground was 621.7 meters.
intenzxboi

Homework Statement

A passenger in a helicopter traveling upwards at 17m/s accidentally drops a package out the window.
a)If it takes 13s to reach the ground, how high to the nearest meter was the helicopter when the package was dropped?
b)what was the maximum height of the package above the ground?

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
V=17 m/s
t=13s
g=-9.8m/s^2

so find x-x0

by using X-Xo=(1/2 a t^2) + Vo t

i got 607. which i am sure is the right answer

b)i know maximum height is when V(final)=0

so i did 17m/s=(9.8m/s^2) t + 0

and i ended up with t=1.73

plugging this back into the equation i get the extra amount of distance
(X-Xo)= (1/2)(-9.8)(1.73^2)+(17)(1.73)

and that gives me x=14.7

So for the maximum height i figure u just add 14.7+607= 621.7

However the book is telling me this answer is wrong. Correct answer is 627

Did i do something wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks good to me.

I got 607 (607.1) m and 622 (621.8) m so I guess you are right. Plus, 7<=>2 is a common typo.

Related to Solving the Mystery: A Helicopter's Dropped Package

1. How can a helicopter's dropped package be solved?

A helicopter's dropped package can be solved by conducting a thorough investigation of the incident. This may involve reviewing footage of the drop, analyzing the trajectory of the package, and gathering witness testimonies.

2. What are some potential reasons for a helicopter's dropped package?

There are several potential reasons for a helicopter's dropped package, including mechanical failure, human error, adverse weather conditions, and weight distribution issues.

3. What are the steps to take in order to solve the mystery of a helicopter's dropped package?

The steps to take in order to solve the mystery of a helicopter's dropped package may include gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, analyzing data, and reconstructing the incident. It is also important to consult with experts in the field to obtain their insights and opinions.

4. How long does it typically take to solve a helicopter's dropped package mystery?

The length of time it takes to solve a helicopter's dropped package mystery varies depending on the complexity of the incident and the availability of evidence. It could take anywhere from a few days to several weeks to reach a conclusion.

5. What are the potential consequences of a helicopter's dropped package?

The consequences of a helicopter's dropped package can vary depending on the contents of the package and the location of the drop. It could potentially cause property damage, pose a threat to public safety, or result in legal repercussions for the individuals involved.