Calculating Horizontal Distance of a Dropped Package from a Flying Plane

  • Thread starter Thread starter knelson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
knelson
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Package dropped from a plane!

A plane is flying horizontally with wpeed 281 m/s at a height 3200m about the ground. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Neglecting air resistance, what is the horizontal distance from the release point to the impact point?

I'm not sure where to start ... these are different than projectile problems we've been looking at...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

knelson said:
A plane is flying horizontally with wpeed 281 m/s at a height 3200m about the ground. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Neglecting air resistance, what is the horizontal distance from the release point to the impact point?

I'm not sure where to start ... these are different than projectile problems we've been looking at...

Oi! That package almost hit me! :frown:
​

Hi knelson! Welcome to PF! :biggrin:

The package will have the same velocity as the plane …

so this is just like a problem where the package is shot horizontally out of a gun at 281 m/s :smile:
 


Hi! Thanks for your quick relpy! As soon as I hit submit I actually figured out the problem! I just found the time it would take to his the ground and used that to plug it into the equation to find the displacement of x! I guess just thinking about it as I was typing helped, hehe. Thanks!