Solving the Transformation to Eddington-Finkelstein in Schwarzschild Geometry

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Astrofiend
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm having problems seeing how the transformation to Eddington-Finkelstein in the Schwarzschild geometry works. Any help would be great!

Homework Equations



So we have the Schwarzschild Geometry given by:

[tex] ds^2 = -(1-2M/r)dt^2 + (1-2M/r)^-^1 dr^2 + r^2(d\theta^2+sin^2\theta d\phi^2) [/tex]

and the Edd-Fink transformation assigns

[tex] t = v - r -2Mlog\mid r/2M-1 \mid[/tex]

The textbook says it is straight-forward to simply sub this into the S.G line element to get the transformed geometry, but I can't seem to get it.

The Attempt at a Solution



OK, so differentiating the expression for the new t coordinates above, I get:

[tex] dt = dv - dr -2M. \frac{d}{dr} [log(r-2m)-log(2m)][/tex]
[tex] dt = dv - dr -2M. \left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)[/tex]
[tex] dt = dv - dr - \left(\frac{2m}{r}-1\right)[/tex]


...but the book says the answer is

[tex] dt = -\frac{dr}{1-\frac{2M}{r}} + dv[/tex]

>where am I going wrong here? Given this last expression, it is fairly easy to sub it into the SG line element to get the transformed coordinates. Problem is, I can't seem to get that far! Any help much appreciated...
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Astrofiend said:

Homework Statement


OK, so differentiating the expression for the new t coordinates above, I get:

[tex] dt = dv - dr -2M. \frac{d}{dr} [log(r-2m)-log(2m)][/tex]

Ermm... shouldn't this be

[tex]dt = dv - dr -2M. \frac{d}{dr} [log(r-2m)-log(2m)]dr[/tex]

?:wink:

Also, [tex]2m\left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)<br /> \neq \left(\frac{2m}{r}-1\right)[/tex]
 


[tex]dt=dv-dr-2m\left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)dr=dv-\left[1+2m\left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)\right]dr[/tex]

Just simplify...it's basic algebra from here.