Solving trig equation with TI Ispire CX

• Thread starter Sunwoo Bae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation xsin(x)-cos(x)=0 on the interval (0,4) using a calculator. The individual had attempted to solve it using the calculator's algebra function, but encountered an error. They then tried graphing the equation, but wanted to know how to solve it analytically. After receiving help, they realized that the calculator was not treating the sine function correctly and were able to successfully solve the equation.
Sunwoo Bae

Homework Statement

solve xsin(x)-cos(x)=0 on interval (0,4) using the calculator

Homework Equations

xsin(x)-cos(x)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried working the problem out through first pressing menu- 3 (algebra)- 1 (solve)- inserting the equation- inserting the interval.
However, when I press the enter button, I get this equation instead of solid solution(s).
Below is my work on the graphing calculator.
1515317466681.jpg

Attachments

• 1515317466681.jpg
    1515317466681.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 992
Physics news on Phys.org
Sunwoo Bae said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

xsin(x)-cos(x)=0

I have tried working the problem out through first pressing menu- 3 (algebra)- 1 (solve)- inserting the equation- inserting the interval.
However, when I press the enter button, I get this equation instead of solid solution(s).
View attachment 218028
Can't you simply graph that ?

Sunwoo Bae said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

xsin(x)-cos(x)=0

View attachment 218028
You're missing a couple of steps. Here's a quick tutorial on how to do that exact kind of problem analytically (as opposed to graphically) on the N-Spire.

Likes SammyS
ComplexVar89 said:
You're missing a couple of steps. Here's a quick tutorial on how to do that exact kind of problem analytically (as opposed to graphically) on the N-Spire.

I tried the exact steps, and the solution turns out the same way.
1515370239689.jpg
I don't know why, but it works on ti 84
1515370241050.jpg

Attachments

• 1515370239689.jpg
    1515370239689.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 349
  • 1515370241050.jpg
    1515370241050.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
SammyS said:
Can't you simply graph that ?
yes but i want to know how to do it without graphing it!

Sunwoo Bae said:
yes but i want to know how to do it without graphing it!
It looks like you have ##\ xsin(x)\ ## rather than ##\ x\cdot\sin(x) \ ##.

So it's not treating ##\ sin\ ## as a function.

Likes ComplexVar89 and Sunwoo Bae
SammyS said:
It looks like you have ##\ xsin(x)\ ## rather than ##\ x\cdot\sin(x) \ ##.

So it's not treating ##\ sin\ ## as a function.
thanks it worked!

1. How do I enter a trigonometric equation into the TI Inspire CX calculator?

To enter a trigonometric equation into the TI Inspire CX calculator, you will first need to use the "alpha" key to access the trigonometric functions (sin, cos, tan, etc.). Then, use the "x" key to enter the variable in the equation. Finally, use the arrow keys to navigate through the equation and enter any other constants or operations.

2. Can I solve a trigonometric equation with multiple variables using the TI Inspire CX calculator?

Yes, the TI Inspire CX calculator can solve trigonometric equations with multiple variables. You will need to use the "solve" function to specify which variable you want to solve for. If there are multiple solutions, the calculator will display all possible solutions.

3. How do I set the calculator to display answers in degrees instead of radians?

To change the display mode to degrees, press the "mode" button and use the arrow keys to navigate to the "angle" option. Then, use the arrow keys to select "degree". This will change the calculator to display answers in degrees instead of radians.

4. Can the TI Inspire CX calculator solve trigonometric equations with complex numbers?

Yes, the TI Inspire CX calculator can solve trigonometric equations with complex numbers. You will need to use the "complex" mode, which can be accessed by pressing the "mode" button and using the arrow keys to navigate to the "complex" option. This will allow the calculator to display complex solutions.

5. Is there a way to check my solution for a trigonometric equation using the TI Inspire CX calculator?

Yes, the TI Inspire CX calculator has a "verify" function that allows you to check your solution for a trigonometric equation. To use this function, enter the original equation and your solution, and the calculator will verify if the two are equal or not.