1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some higher order differential equations

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) s^2*t''+st*t'=s
    b) y(dx/dy)^2=x^2+1
    c) 17y''''-t^6*y"-4.2y^5=3cost(t)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a I thought about doing a reduction of order but I can't because I have the variable s present. Not sure what my other options are.

Part b I solved for dx/dy but now I'm stuck. Can't think clearly

Part c I'm not even remotely sure on how to do this. I was thinking integrating factor but I don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can solve (2) algebraically for dx/dy:
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}= \pm \frac{\sqrt{x^2+ 1}}{\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
    and have two separable differential equations.

As for the other two, they are badly non-linear and I have no clue!

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    If the 1st one is

[tex]s^2\,t''+s\,t\,t'=s\Rightarrow t\,x''+x\,x'=1[/tex]

then as HallsofIvy said it is non-linear. (I changed the notation a bit).
    The general strategy for these ODE's are to search for Lie point symmetries. Unfortunately this one does not have any :frown:
    A second approach is to search for a first integral of the equation, which is based on a search and a try method.

For this ODE if you try a first integral of the type

[tex]I=f(x,t)\,x'+g(x,t)=C[/tex]

you can find that

[tex]I=t\,x'+\frac{1}{2}x^2-x-t=C[/tex]

which is a Riccati type 1st order ODE. With the standard transformation you can convert it in to a 2nd order homogeneous linear ODE which can be solved the help of Bessel functions.

5. Feb 9, 2008 #4
    By carefully following Rainbow Child's instructions I think I was able to solve the first equation. The first part was to find the first integral, which was indeed as stated:

[tex]f(x,t)\cdot x' +g(x,t)=C[/tex]

The functions f and g can be found by taking the derivative with respect to t giving:

[tex]fx''+f'x'+g'=0[/tex]

Setting this equal to the original equation gives then:

[tex]f(x,t)=t[/tex]

and thus f'=0, and also

[tex]g(x,t)=\frac{x^2}{2}-x-t[/tex]

We have now:

[tex]t\cdot x'+ \frac{x^2}{2}-x-t=C[/tex]

or:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}-\frac{1}{t}\cdot x + \frac{1}{2t}x^2=\frac{C}{t}+1[/tex]

The Riccati equation:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}+Q(t)x+R(t)x^2=P(t)[/tex]

can be transformed by using:

[tex]x=\frac{u'}{Ru}[/tex]

Doing this transforms the equation into:

[tex]t^2\frac{d^2u}{dt^2}-\frac{1}{2}(t+C)u=0[/tex]

Which is a special case of the following extended Bessel equation:

[tex]t^2\frac{d^2u}{dt^2}+(2k+1)t\frac{du}{dt}- \left(\alpha^2t^{2r}+\beta^2 \right)u=0[/tex]

Which has the solution:

[tex]u(t)=t^{-k}\left[AI_{\frac{\gamma}{r}}\left(\frac{\alpha}{r}t^r\right) + BK_{\frac{\gamma}{r}}\left(\frac{\alpha}{r}t^r\right) \right][/tex]

with:

[tex]\gamma=\sqrt{k^2-\beta^2}[/tex]

The functions are the modified Bessel functions of the first and second kind of order [tex]\frac{\gamma}{r}[/tex].

In our case we have:

[tex]k=-\frac{1}{2} \qquad r=\frac{1}{2} \qquad \beta^2=\frac{C}{2} \qquad \alpha^2=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{\gamma}{r}=\sqrt{1-2C}=n \qquad \frac{\alpha}{r}=\sqrt{2}[/tex]

The solution is thus:

[tex]u(t)=\sqrt{t} \left[ A I_{n}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) + B K_{n}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) \right][/tex]

After transforming back to x(t) we get:

[tex]x(t) = 1+\sqrt{2t} \left[ \frac{\displaystyle \frac{A}{2} \left[I_{n-1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) + I_{n+1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) \right]- \frac{B}{2} \left[K_{n-1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) +K_{n+1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) \right]}{\displaystyle A I_{n}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) + B K_{n}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right)} \right][/tex]

Rewriting a little bit gives now:

[tex]x(t) = 1+\sqrt{\frac{t}{2}} \left[ \frac{\displaystyle \left[I_{n-1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) + I_{n+1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) \right]- D \left[K_{n-1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) +K_{n+1}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) \right]}{\displaystyle I_{n}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right) + D K_{n}\left(\sqrt{2t}\right)} \right][/tex]

This solution has indeed two parameters C (in n) and D. To see if it is the correct one, it must be validated using the original equation. I haven't done this yet, the algebra is somewhat involved.

Non-linear differential equations are indeed not easy. Thanks to Rainbow Child for the instructions, it was a pleasure doing this calculation.

@ roldy: Is this the result you were looking for? Where exactly do these equations come from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?