1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions about my assignment of functions

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Hi, I've been sick over the last week (strep throat) and I just found out today that I have to hand in an assignment by 2pm. Ive completed all the problems but 4 which I dont know how to do. If someone could do them or help me do them asap i'd be forever grateful.
    1)Is the following graph symmetric with respect to:
    a)the x-axis b)the y-axis c)the origin
    y=(x^2 - 4)/(2x^2)

2)Find the domain of
    a)7Sqrt(x^3-1) ... it's the little 7 ontop of the sqrt, not 7 * sqrt
    b)(2)/(x^2 + 6x + 9)
    c)|x|+4

3)find the average rate of change of the f(x)= x^3 from 1 to 2x

4)if y=|x| then draw the following graph
    a)y=|x+2|
    b)y=|x| +4
    c)y=|x+2| + 4
    I realise that you won't be able to graph it in form of text so this is my e-mail european_footballstar@hotmail.com
    Please show your work*
    If anyone at all could help me I would really appreciate it and you'd be saving my life!! Desperate please help !

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First thing you are going to have to do is show a little effort on your part. What is the DEFINITION of "symmetric with respect to " the x-axis, the y-axis, the origin?

Then it's not a squareroot at all- it is a 7th root.
    Unless otherwise given, the domain is the set of all x for which the caculation can be done. For each of these is there any x for which it CAN'T be done?

You mean from 1 to 2. How much is f(2) different from f(1)? How much does it change "per x"?

Again, what you have said makes no sense. If y= |x| then it can't be any of those other things. I suspect you mean that you are given the graph of y= |x| and are supposed to use it to graph these other functions. Hint: each of these changes shifts the graph left-right or up-down. Which is which?
    Tricking your teacher into thinking you know how to do these when you don't is not saving your life- it's just making things harder for you later. By the way, it's a very bad practice to give your e-mail address out profigately. I won't e-mail you because I don't want you to have my e-mail address.

4. Oct 20, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've merged the two threads into one.

andreipanait, you were supposed to have read the forum rules before posting:

Do NOT post homework in the MATH threads.

Do NOT post the same thing more than once.

For homework help-TRY and show us what you have done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?