Some questions about quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to quantum mechanics, specifically the application of p=mv, the concept of free particles and their energy, and the meaning of |\psi|^2. It also touches on the existence of the wavepacket of a free electron. The responses suggest that p=mv can be applied in quantum mechanics, potential and kinetic energy are not distinguishable in this context, and |\psi|^2 can be seen as the electric field for a photon. The existence of the wavepacket is still unclear.
R.P.F.

Homework Statement

Hi I'm reading quantum by myself and several questions rise. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with them!

1) Does p=mv only work in classical mechanics or does it also work in quantum?
2) 'There is no such thing as a free particle with a definite energy'. Does that mean a free particle has infinite energy? It has no potential so does that mean it has infinite kinetics energy? But its speed cannot pass c.
3)What is [tex]|\psi|^2 [/tex]? Is it the probability density of the free electron or the wavepacket of the electron?
4)Does the wavepacket of an free electron actually exist or is it just a different mathematical form for representing an electron?

Thank you so much!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

1-) Quantum physics is the segment of the physics which can be applied to particles for which v/c-->0 but m is so small that it is comparible with h
so yes.
2-) Actually in quantum physics, there is no distinction of potantial or kinetic energy ratio, you just put potantial energy as a function of position, and you get probabilities about position and momentum (so kinetic energy)
3-) Easiest and historical way to understand psy is to see it as what electric field is for a photon. (if you haven't studied electromagnetic waves just let me know)
4-) That is not clear yet, it has no theoretical derivation (as far as i know), it just works, so if it is true it is indeed real.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes how particles behave and interact with each other in the quantum realm, which is very different from the classical world we experience.

What are some key principles of quantum mechanics?

Some key principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states at once, and entanglement, where particles can become connected and affect each other's behavior even when separated by large distances.

How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. In classical mechanics, objects have well-defined positions and velocities, while in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at once and have uncertain positions and velocities.

What are some applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many applications in modern technology, such as in transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in fields like chemistry, material science, and cryptography.

What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics include the idea that it can be used to explain consciousness or that it allows for teleportation. Quantum mechanics is a scientific theory that describes the behavior of particles, and it does not have any supernatural or mystical properties.