Some Qustions of Electrostatic Induction

In summary, the phenomenon of electrostatic induction causes objects to become charged and attracted to each other. This charge can be transferred through friction, with glass rods acquiring a charge when held by hand due to its insulating properties, while iron rods cannot because of its conductivity. The amount of charge induced or displaced is equal, and the law of conservation of charge applies. Rubber tires can also acquire negative charges from friction with the road.
rizwankhalil
Hi

Q 1 An electrified rod attracts pieces of paper. After a while these papers fly away. Why?

My Answer: Due to the phenomenon of electrostatic induction, the paper becomes charged and will be attracted towards the rod. After some time, the charge becomes neutral and paper flies.

Q 2 How much negative charge has been removed from a positively charged electroscope if it has a charge of 7.5 x 10-11 C?

My Answer: According to phenomenon of electrostatic induction, the amount of charge induces will be equal to amount of charge displaced. So - 7.5 x 10-11 C has been removed from a positively charged electroscope if it has a charge of 7.5 x 10-11 C.

Q 3 Rubber tires get charged from friction with the road. What is the polarity of the charge?

My Answer: Tires will acquire negative charges due to friction between Earth and tires. Electrons are transferred from Earth to rubber tires.

Q 4 Explain why, a glass rod can be charged by rubbing when held by hand but an iron rod can’t be charged by rubbing, if held by hands?

My Answer: Since glass is an insulator so when it is charged by rubbing, charges doesn’t move towards Earth via human body. While iron is a conductor so when it is charged by rubbing, charges move towards the Earth via human body.

Guide me in this regard.

Riz

Likes ummeusman
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the second but all the other ones are correct.

Two is also right, but it is the law of conservation of charge.

1. What is electrostatic induction?

Electrostatic induction is the process by which a charged object can influence the distribution of charges in a nearby neutral object, resulting in the attraction or repulsion of the objects.

2. How does electrostatic induction work?

Electrostatic induction works by bringing a charged object close to a neutral object. The charges in the neutral object will be rearranged, with opposite charges being attracted to the charged object and like charges being repelled. This results in a separation of charges in the neutral object, creating a temporary induced charge.

3. What are some practical applications of electrostatic induction?

Electrostatic induction has many practical applications, including in the functioning of capacitors, electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control, and electrostatic painting. It is also used in electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection for electronic devices.

4. Can electrostatic induction be used to create a continuous flow of electricity?

No, electrostatic induction only results in a temporary separation of charges in a neutral object. To create a continuous flow of electricity, a circuit is needed to allow the charges to flow continuously.

5. How is electrostatic induction related to the concept of electric fields?

Electrostatic induction is closely related to electric fields, as it is the electric field of the charged object that causes the charges in the neutral object to be rearranged. This can be seen in the formula for electric field: E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge. The electric field is responsible for the force that causes the charges to be induced in the neutral object.