1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Qustions of Electrostatic Induction

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    Hi

Q 1 An electrified rod attracts pieces of paper. After a while these papers fly away. Why?

My Answer: Due to the phenomenon of electrostatic induction, the paper becomes charged and will be attracted towards the rod. After some time, the charge becomes neutral and paper flies.

Q 2 How much negative charge has been removed from a positively charged electroscope if it has a charge of 7.5 x 10-11 C?

My Answer: According to phenomenon of electrostatic induction, the amount of charge induces will be equal to amount of charge displaced. So - 7.5 x 10-11 C has been removed from a positively charged electroscope if it has a charge of 7.5 x 10-11 C.

Q 3 Rubber tires get charged from friction with the road. What is the polarity of the charge?

My Answer: Tires will acquire negative charges due to friction between Earth and tires. Electrons are transferred from Earth to rubber tires.

Q 4 Explain why, a glass rod can be charged by rubbing when held by hand but an iron rod can’t be charged by rubbing, if held by hands?

My Answer: Since glass is an insulator so when it is charged by rubbing, charges doesn’t move towards earth via human body. While iron is a conductor so when it is charged by rubbing, charges move towards the earth via human body.

Guide me in this regard.

Riz

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure about the second but all the other ones are correct.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    Two is also right, but it is the law of conservation of charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted