• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Some Qustions of Electrostatic Induction

Hi

Q 1 An electrified rod attracts pieces of paper. After a while these papers fly away. Why?

My Answer: Due to the phenomenon of electrostatic induction, the paper becomes charged and will be attracted towards the rod. After some time, the charge becomes neutral and paper flies.

Q 2 How much negative charge has been removed from a positively charged electroscope if it has a charge of 7.5 x 10-11 C?

My Answer: According to phenomenon of electrostatic induction, the amount of charge induces will be equal to amount of charge displaced. So - 7.5 x 10-11 C has been removed from a positively charged electroscope if it has a charge of 7.5 x 10-11 C.

Q 3 Rubber tires get charged from friction with the road. What is the polarity of the charge?

My Answer: Tires will acquire negative charges due to friction between Earth and tires. Electrons are transferred from Earth to rubber tires.

Q 4 Explain why, a glass rod can be charged by rubbing when held by hand but an iron rod can’t be charged by rubbing, if held by hands?

My Answer: Since glass is an insulator so when it is charged by rubbing, charges doesn’t move towards earth via human body. While iron is a conductor so when it is charged by rubbing, charges move towards the earth via human body.

Guide me in this regard.

Riz

Likes ummeusman

Answers and Replies

I'm not sure about the second but all the other ones are correct.

Two is also right, but it is the law of conservation of charge.