In severe need of advice for learning Algebra 2

In summary: You might be able to transfer some of your credits from high school, or even from some of the college courses you take in the future. In the meantime, complete the Algebra 1/Trig textbook(s) and take the practice quizzes in the back of the books. Bear in mind that it is better to start taking college-level mathematics courses in your junior year in high school, when you are ready for them. However, if you cannot do this, you can still get a good foundation in mathematics by studying at a community college and then transferring to a 4-year university to complete your degree in mathematics or an engineering discipline.In summary, congratulations on graduating early, and I hope that this advice
CzigBot
My situation is that I'm 17, and graduated high school early due to the CHSPE test. The only math I have any real knowledge of is algebra 1, since I forgot geometry and barely got into algebra 2 before I graduated. No books have worked, Gelfand's Algebra frustrated me exceptionally because it was too complicated, Practical Algebra:A Self Teaching Guide was too complicated, No Bull**** Guide To Math And Physics was too complicated, Khan Academy is too broad and keeps bombarding me with stuff from below algebra 1 for some reason. I desperately want to be an astronautical engineer. Are there any other options for self study, will I have to waste some semesters with college classes for basic math? I've gotten an excellent knowledge, memorization and problem solving ability of every other science I've tried to learn, math is the only exception and it's holding me back from more intimately learning everything else.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I advice you to go through the internet. Go search in Google and find the most simplified explanation in Algebra 2. I also recommend you to practice problem solving so you could apply what you have learned. Don't rush studying the lessons. Take it one by one. If you already understood the lesson, go to the next lesson. If you have questions, feel free to ask questions to PF. Those are only suggestions so yeah...
Good luck.

-Zeph-

Likes CzigBot
Congratulations Czig, and welcome to PF :smile: !

Go easy on yourself, don't worry too much in advance. Get in touch with one or more of the institutes you are aiming for and seek advice there ! They are fond of students like you and will go out of their way to help.

Likes CzigBot
@BvU I'll be having a career counselor meeting soon, I'll ask them about it then.

@Zephyr007 I can't think of any suitable response other than that I've acknowledged your post and will make a plan on how to use this advice.

Nah... Its ok :) Go ahead and study.

I suggest that you look at the web sites of some universities where you might end up going, and find out whether they will let you into their freshman calculus course based on a placement test for algebra and trig, or require that you have taken courses there, or in high school or community college. They're probably not going to simply accept your word that you studied that stuff sufficiently on your own.

CzigBot said:
My situation is that I'm 17, and graduated high school early due to the CHSPE test. The only math I have any real knowledge of is algebra 1, since I forgot geometry and barely got into algebra 2 before I graduated. No books have worked, Gelfand's Algebra frustrated me exceptionally because it was too complicated, Practical Algebra:A Self Teaching Guide was too complicated, No Bull**** Guide To Math And Physics was too complicated, Khan Academy is too broad and keeps bombarding me with stuff from below algebra 1 for some reason. I desperately want to be an astronautical engineer. Are there any other options for self study, will I have to waste some semesters with college classes for basic math? I've gotten an excellent knowledge, memorization and problem solving ability of every other science I've tried to learn, math is the only exception and it's holding me back from more intimately learning everything else.
Get one or two old, good textbooks on Algebra 1, and study everything yourself as review. This may take 3 or 4 months. Get one or two old, good Intermediate Algebra books/textbooks, and try to study this yourself for maybe 3 or 4 months. You should study 2 hours approximately everyday, which should be between 12 and 14 hours per week; more if you feel like it. EVERYDAY!

Now, begin begin going to school at a community college; you might want to start your mathematics course work with Intermediate Algebra and earn credit while getting better at it.

1. How can I improve my understanding of Algebra 2?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of Algebra 2. First, make sure you have a solid foundation in basic algebra concepts. You can review these by practicing with online resources or working through a textbook. Next, seek out additional resources such as tutoring, videos, or online courses to supplement your learning. Finally, practice regularly and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid in Algebra 2?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Algebra 2 include not properly simplifying equations, forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, and misinterpreting word problems. It's important to double check your work and go back to review any steps that may have been skipped.

3. How can I stay motivated while learning Algebra 2?

Staying motivated while learning Algebra 2 can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to keep yourself on track. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate your accomplishments along the way. Find a study group or accountability partner to keep you motivated and on track. Finally, remember the end goal - mastering Algebra 2 can open up many opportunities for higher level math and science courses.

4. What are some real-world applications of Algebra 2?

Algebra 2 has many real-world applications, including finance, engineering, and computer science. For example, understanding algebraic concepts such as equations, inequalities, and functions can help with budgeting and financial planning. In engineering, algebra is used to solve problems in mechanics, electricity, and thermodynamics. In computer science, algebra is used in programming and data analysis.

5. How can I overcome my fear of math and learning Algebra 2?

If you have a fear of math or learning Algebra 2, it's important to address it head on. Start by identifying the root of your fear - is it a lack of understanding, a past negative experience, or something else? Then, work on building your confidence by starting with basic concepts and gradually working your way up. Seek out support from teachers, tutors, or peers and remember that it's okay to make mistakes and ask for help. With practice and perseverance, you can overcome your fear and succeed in learning Algebra 2.